Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Portable Recorders

CEB

I would like a portable recorder to see what kind of mix the sound guys are creating.

With a 2GB card about how many minutes of music do you something like this would hold?

http://tascam.com/product/dr-05/specifications/

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. I was concerned whether I could fit a single four hour gig on one card. Sounds like it would be no problem.

Thanks again.

Holy s#%¥. Do u guys really have 4 hour shows to do? We get away with murder ( no puns intended) here in Ireland. What is your gig ceb?
Korg kronos, casio px5s, studiologic sl 88 studio, korg m50,korg triton, yamaha moxf6, hammond xk1, korg sp200

Typical bar and club gigs around here are 4 hours. An example would be 8-12.

We usually divide it up into 3 sets with a couple of breaks.

Sorry to got off topic on da last post.....think I went into shock. Our bass player uses a little tascam portable recorder to record our gigs. Cannot remember the model number but it has a 2 gig card, records in mp3 and is good for about 3 hours. He stops it during breaks and that allows us to skip tru the different sets without having to "fast forward" tru a show to skip boring or cringeworthy parts. It has two small condenser mics on da top pointed inward at 45 degrees. Fantastic sound out of it. He usually leaves it a his feet and the sound is equall to a nice live mix from the main mixer. Hope his is helpful
Korg kronos, casio px5s, studiologic sl 88 studio, korg m50,korg triton, yamaha moxf6, hammond xk1, korg sp200

I've got the Edirol recorder, and while I can't speak for other models, the built in mics are not suitable for capturing what it actually sounds like in the room. Usually a direct board mix is pretty good, but I've also brought out a condenser and preamp, which makes it much less "portable". I usually stop it during break, so you get 3 1-hr recordings in a 4hr gig.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived