Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

First chair to sixth chair clarinet in one challenge

stepay

Just an update on this. The band director has decided that challenges from now on the rest of the year can only be made to the chair ahead of you. So, my daughter can challenge the 5th chair next time, and slowly move up that way, but in no way can she leap up multiple chairs as was done the first time. No reason given for this change. Weird.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably because that's what he should have done all along.

What's "weird" is how your daughter, once first chair, now has to go though all the other chairs to reclaim her spot or get close. She never should have gotten bumped so far in the first place.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I think, at this point, I'd have something to say to the teacher about it. Your daughter is victimized by an unfair policy, only to have that policy "corrected" directly afterward, without giving her any justice?

+1 on this. That's a load of BS and the original "challenge" result should be overturned and the challenge needs to be redone under the new, more equitable rule.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Probably because that's what he should have done all along.

What's "weird" is how your daughter, once first chair, now has to go though all the other chairs to reclaim her spot or get close. She never should have gotten bumped so far in the first place.

It's definitely weird. Not sure how many challenge opportunities are even available still...probably not enough for her to get to challenge for #1 again. Well, life is not always fair, and this is a good lesson in that for her. There are other things in life where I would call the school to complain (and I have done that in the past), but this is not one of them.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

• 1 month later...

Another update. The band director has changed his mind again and allowed people to challenge three seats up, so basically it ended up my daughter was in a challenge with the 3rd, 4th, and 5th chairs, and she won that, so she has now moved from 6th to 3rd chair.

Really crazy...from 1st to 6th and now up to 3rd. They are told the next challenge is only for one chair up, so she's going for #2 chair next month.

Band. Glad I didn't do it.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Your daughter's band director sounds like a flake that has no idea what he's doing.
Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Even a knucklehead sport like football only allows two (2) challenges per game and a third only if the first two are successful. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

We didn't have the most intensive music program in high school, but the Honour Band was a pretty big deal. We never had any competition like this, but chair positions were sometimes competitively skill-based. Our conductor had a pretty clear idea about who could take the part. One of my best friends was first chair, but found himself playing second parts in certain songs probably due to our conductor's preference. Never, though, would someone playing the third part move up to something as prestigious as first. I can see this competition working in a more intensive setting, though.

Competition is good, and if you go about it in the right way, it'll build confidence, motivation, work ethic, and skill. There need to be team-players in a band, and I imagine that at the competitive level, the sixth chair would be capable of covering the first chair's part. Still, there should be some sense of consistency, no? I imagine competition being ok for some in-class things, but if you were a conductor, wouldn't you want to establish conformity in your band for the season? That would seem a whole lot more professional to me, instead of rotating first clarinetists at festivals, concerts, during rehearsals, etc. I guess that kind of is strange...

On my part, I was the first bass clarinetist, but there were only two of us. I was also band president in my senior year. I haven't played the bass clarinet in a couple of years, and have an untouched clarinet sitting on top of one of my keyboards. Man, sometimes I miss those days.

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

• 1 month later...

Another update: My daughter has worked her way back up to 2nd chair. That's about right I think...the 1st chair girl is really really good and practices a LOT, including outside lessons.

Also, the band got straight 1s at the OMEA (Ohio Music Education Association) competition Saturday, so they will proceed to the state competition.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Get down man! It's great that you're supportive of your daughter like that, and even better that you can see when someone else has put in the work to deserve the extra recognition. Too many parents today just can't do that, thus all the fights and other crazy assaults at kiddie sporting events and such.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

It could have been worse, so maybe tell her this story and she'll feel better about it (and realize that it isn't permanent):

My girlfriend at the time was 2nd chair and I was 1st, and both of us were going to music school the following year. She challenged me, and I "threw" the challenge in her favour even after a visit to the guidance counselor convinced me to do otherwise. Needless to say, I lost the first chair and the friendship; I think she sensed what I had done and resented it.

So, at least your daughter didn't have that complication thrown into the mix! And hopefully she wasn't best friends with any of the people involved in the rearrangement of chairs!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Or better yet, were besties and still are.

Glad everything worked out. I think the guy discovered his mistake (or it was pointed out) and tried to fix it (and was probably again given a hard time) and worked his way to a reasonable situation. Hopefully he's learned a less or two as well.

In HS, I knew who was better than whom, and if I'd been challenged by someone who was better it wouldn't have bothered me at all. I do remember coming in one day and there was some fuss about the chairs behind me being rearranged and I didn't understand but what the heck, we all did what our dearly beloved band director said without question (except the time he asked us to play Sweet Caroline -- the one and only mutiny).

As a senior I was 2nd chair out of 5 alto saxes. No way I could touch 1st chair (I'd only been playing 2 1/2 years). I bet one of the juniors could have beat me but didn't since they knew they'd have their shot next year. At the time, I didn't realize they were doing me a favor. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
Get down man! It's great that you're supportive of your daughter like that, and even better that you can see when someone else has put in the work to deserve the extra recognition. Too many parents today just can't do that, thus all the fights and other crazy assaults at kiddie sporting events and such.

Thanks man! I try. I tried to send you a PM so as to not unnecessarily bump up this thread, but it said it couldn't be delivered (limit reached or something like that).

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Very well done. You're a good dad, and you have a fine daughter. and what Kevin said

Since this has been bumped up, thanks to you too!

Steve (Stevie Ray)

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: I really hadn't planned for this to be an update all year long...really was just asking a question initially, but since I have updated this all along the way, here's the FINAL UPDATE:

My daughter has reclaimed 1st chair. Challenge happened today, and she won. She has been practicing extra, we bought her a new ligature that has helped with her tone, and she won. This is the last challenge of the year, so she began at 1st chair and ends at 1st chair with stops at 6th, 3rd, and 2nd along the way. Crazy.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Thanks man! I try. I tried to send you a PM so as to not unnecessarily bump up this thread, but it said it couldn't be delivered (limit reached or something like that).

Ah, missed this one the first time around. Looks like I gotta clear out some PMs, heh
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I can't say it's a lesson, because she didn't lose due to not being prepared...she practices a lot at home, gets great feedback from the band teacher; just wasn't her day apparently.

Then I guess the lesson is that you can do everything right, and still not get the result you want. And it doesn't even mean that someone else practiced or prepared more, or got a better night's sleep, or whatever. Artistic things have the extra variables of level of natural talent and the subjectivity of the evaluation, both of which are out of your control. You can't compare it to a math test where the right answer is simply the right answer.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I can't say it's a lesson, because she didn't lose due to not being prepared...she practices a lot at home, gets great feedback from the band teacher; just wasn't her day apparently.

Then I guess the lesson is that you can do everything right, and still not get the result you want. And it doesn't even mean that someone else practiced or prepared more, or got a better night's sleep, or whatever. Artistic things have the extra variables of level of natural talent and the subjectivity of the evaluation, both of which are out of your control. You can't compare it to a math test where the right answer is simply the right answer.

You are correct.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Awesome -- overall this was probably a useful lesson to her, and I'll bet she goes through life never resting on her laurels!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Well done to her :cool:...

Not only should she be -rightly- proud of herself,

but YOU should also be proud of the support you've obviously given her as her Dad.

It shows, too, another good trait - that she has a determination not to lie down & 'let it be'.

Well done all-round :thu:

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Archived