Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's your favorite Voyager color?

RipperTronic

By the way I read on the Moog forum some guy saying the backlight has a duration of just about 1,000 hours at full brightness. He also wrote "where the lights are, there are indentations in the panel that can bubble ...". Nightmare! Is all that true? And what to do once the backlight goes kaput? Easy to replace the DIY way?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By the way I read on the Moog forum some guy saying the backlight has a duration of just about 1,000 hours at full brightness. He also wrote "where the lights are, there are indentations in the panel that can bubble ...". Nightmare! Is all that true? And what to do once the backlight goes kaput? Easy to replace the DIY way?

I bought one (demo model from M.F.) that the backlight was totally burned out. I contacted Moog about self repair and the answer is..no way. Send back to the factory.

M.Friend did me right by selling me a new Moog for the demo price, which was cool.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

According to the manual the lights have a half life of 4000 hours at full intensity. So at full intensity, the light will be half as bright in 4000 hours. If you run the light at half intensity it has a useful life of 10,000 hours.

If you get one and start playing it you will soon forget about all this stuff.

I would be interested in an Old School, but I don't think you get to choose the color on that one. Btw my favorite would be cherry. I don't care about backlights; I think I would switch it on only for performances.

I would be interested in an Old School, but I don't think you get to choose the color on that one. Btw my favorite would be cherry. I don't care about backlights; I think I would switch it on only for performances.
Yes in fact that's what I'm realizing as well. Plus the fact that some backlight colors like Solar and Fire won't look plain white when light is switched off. Fire is gourgeous in darkness, but that pink hmm... Old school is only ash afaik.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to go back again to this topic but assuming I don't care about lights, does any recent Performer Edition have exactly the same circuitry as the Select Series? I am wondering why the flashing mod wheels mod is not available for the Performer for instance. Does that mean there IS a difference in electronics?

I'm starting to like more and more the simple elegance of its classic Moog look but I just want to make sure the sound is the same.

There are NO differences in the sound generating side of ANY of the new Voyagers. Performers, Old School and the Select series all share the exact same analog signal path.

Near as I can tell the differences are:

Select/Electric Blue Series: Fully analog signal path, with all the digital controls, patch selection/saving, midi and lighted front panel and wheels.

Old School: No digital front end controls, midi or touch pad. It was designed to be a "modern" Model D.

Performer: Same as Select series except without any backlighting on the front panel or mod wheels (but there is a color option on the wheelsl, but not sure if it's a lighted option or not).

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Archived