Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Asked to create backing tracks...what would you do?

EscapeRocks

Create track for another band?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Create track for another band?

Why the hell not? Some moral belief against the use of backing tracks? They're not gunning for your gig. I'd take the $$ and make 'em.

Hey Bob... the gig is one that you currently hold, but without your knowledge the rest of the band has decided to replace you with tracks.

Hope you're okay with that. :thu:

If it was for his band then of course I'd say don't make those tracks, but it's for another band. Someone's going to make them. Why not him?

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They want to have me come to the studio, and play live with them, and take the recording for the tracks off of that.

Should be interesting.

Hopefully these guys are very used to playing to a click. Otherwise make sure you get paid by the hour ;)

Why not offer to do the bass and drums as well, so the singer and guitarist can go out as a duo? ;)

Ha! Last year I left a band, in part, due to the excessive use of background tracks. Upon leaving, I advised them to hire actors to play musicians on stage since they would be needed to effectively pull off the illusion.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

(in response to your post Moonglow)

My wife and kids were watching our (UK) X Factor while I was packing gear ready to head to a gig. I could hear Bryan Adams on doing a guest spot - giving it loads singing the one he did with Sporty Spice. Next thing I can hear my wife laughing - I looked in - she's laughing so hard there are tears streaming down her face. I asked her what was so funny and she said that the host Dermot O'Leary just asked Bryan Adams what advice he'd give to the remaining contestants and he said something like - write your own songs and play live lots with real musicians. "Is he taking the piss?" she says "you couldn't describe anything less X-Factor and that X-Factor tour."

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Archived