Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Regarding music posts...

picker

May I make a suggestion regarding music posts? On the guitar forum, there is a specific thread for ALL music posting,and all posts of music are either posted there or moved there by the mods. Seems like that might address the issue the majority of people have with a recent controversial post.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This crap happens about every two years. Last time, Brian, Maury, Davio and Matt either voluntarily or involuntarily left the forum. I stayed off for about six months. Even Pick was offering psychological summaries of the behaviors at the time. Last time is started over the use of a particular avatar by a particular individual.

The anoninimty factor plays a part in this. Since you don't know me, see me or can find me, I can get away with discarding those "on" switches that society beats into us that allows us to play nice together. Two years ago, I would have jumped into that unfortunate thread with two feet. Now, I mostly ignore them.

Over the last eight years, I have received an incredible amount of USEFUL advice and direction from many of the forum members. I largely (for better or worse) attribute the fact that I didn't give up the bass five years ago to forum vets like Jeremy, Erik, Brian and the like.

This shall pass, hurt feelings will heal, some forumites will leave for greener pastures (like fretbuzz - haha). Soon we shall be back to talking about gear, gigs and theory.

Recommendation - FWIW - put "listen to my latest clip" on the signature. If you have to change your profile weekly to get it on there, it would be more work that just throwing a new thread on there. Then it gives us the option of either checking it out on your sig, or deciding you're a munch and ignoring the whole thing. And there won't be 500 "listen to my latest clip" threads on the forum - making it easier to find Erik's latest bit of non-fiction.

So, there!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I just read the aforementioned "controversial" post, and as a non-participant found it very entertaining. Sheesh. In the words of Rodney King, can't we just all get along?

Still, the idea of a thread just for posting videos or music for feedback purposes is a good one.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

The anoninimty factor play a part in this. Since you don't know me, see me or can find me, I can get away with discarding those "on" switches that society beats into us that allows us to play nice together.

This is precisely what I was thinking this morning.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

The anoninimty factor play a part in this. Since you don't know me, see me or can find me, I can get away with discarding those "on" switches that society beats into us that allows us to play nice together.

This is precisely what I was thinking this morning.

I call those people "emotional vampires". They feed off any reaction they get just to draw attention to themselves. "People are paying attention to me!" Of course, negative comments are the quickest way to get what they crave. Really pathetic.

I also agree, this blanket of annonymity does make it easier for these vampires to get their fix.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

And there won't be 500 "listen to my latest clip" threads on the forum - making it easier to find Erik's latest bit of non-fiction.

This is exactly, exactly, exactly the point. One person doesn't understand that them posting new music once a week isn't the problem, so much as the idea of "what if everyone did that?" - this place would look like the old MP3.com forums in no time flat...

It's a tricky one really. Already Phil's one tune has recieved 7 replies. It could become a huge thread. I question why people want to continually post their tunes to see what we think. Established artists don't do that. They write 10 songs and publish them and see if people buy them.

I've always thought the sig is the best place for self promotion. Putting all your tunes on soundclick or wherever for people to look at if they want.

Not all of us write music so I can't see the forum getting swamped with hundreds of threads.

I don't know exactly what happened in the other thread but really if SuSudio had an issue with Plagent's excessive self promotion they should have brought it to the attention of a Mod by flagging the post or buy PM instead of entering into all out pulic conflict.

Eric's non-fiction? You mean all that stuff is true? That is scarey.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Yes Tim. I posted mine more with a sense of let's get this thing started but did get some useful feedback. I agree. We don't want 400 threads about individual recordings swamping the forum, or at least I assume we don't.

Sometimes the public conflict does achieve the desired result though. It's OK to say 'You're wrong'. And we should be able to take it. And we definitely should be able to take negative responses if we do put our music up for others to hear.

I don't know exactly what happened in the other thread but really if SuSudio had an issue with Plagent's excessive self promotion they should have brought it to the attention of a Mod by flagging the post or buy PM instead of entering into all out pulic conflict.

For the record, I was responding to Plag's previous reply to me in which he choose to criticize me for providing an honest opinion to one of his many submissions which was not unlike the opinions of many other members who also replied. When I later read how enraged he became to negative feedback, I decided to have a little fun with his next self-promotion by responding similarly to his previous rant...using his exact same words mind you. If you go back and read his post, "Funny How Things Translate", you'll understand. Of course, when he blew his top at everyone who didn't shower him with praise, it was inevitable that a flame war would result. Sure, I poked the bear a few times but I didn't shoot the deputy and I certainly wouldn't throw a temper-tantrum if some members here found my self-promotional threads to be extra-sucky. That's the chance you take when you pull your pants down in public....you might hear a giggle or more. Anyway, I think we need a dedicated lounge for these types of posts similar to what you'll find on other forums...a kind of junk-drawer for non core-related topics.

Tim - You're right. Not all of us write or record. But you only need about 5 people to throw a gratuitous "what do you think of my (fill in the blank)" thread about once every 5 days. You've achieved about 125 - 150 threads a month. Forest and trees, baby. Personally, unless someone's got stones or cred, I'm not interested in hearing about "their video" or "their clip" - especially if they're posting two a week.

Phil (Not implying this is you) - AKA, If you're gonna start a thread that has "what do you think of my (fill in the blank)", you had best be wearing your "big girl panties" before posting. Too many people are the product of community youth soccer and are used to "everyone gets a trophy" and "we don't keep score" and "everyone's a winner" and that crap. If someone's skin is too thin to take it on the forum, that person had best not bother going live. A bar full of drunks is going to be a lot less kind.

Tim - Erik's posts: Truth is stranger than fiction.

Tim - You're right. Not all of us write or record. But you only need about 5 people to throw a gratuitous "what do you think of my (fill in the blank)" thread about once every 5 days. You've achieved about 125 - 150 threads a month. Forest and trees, baby. Personally, unless someone's got stones or cred, I'm not interested in hearing about "their video" or "their clip" - especially if they're posting two a week.

Tim - Erik's posts: Truth is stranger than fiction.

Granted, but each individual only needs a thread to themselves with their material in it. Then you have a thread you can go to if you're interested in that person's material rather than sifting though a single thread full of lots of different stuff. The original issue is the high number of new threads not bringing anything new to the party.

A while back there was a guy - YourLord who had designed a web site for his band which he asked for critique. He pretty much admitted he was deaf and then wouldn't accept anyone's advice on his poor mixes. He also insisted on posting FLAC, MPS and WAV versions of everything and telling us (and his fans via his over comlex website) all which was superior. He was a nice guy but again asked for opinion but didn't listen to what he didn't want to hear. The band eventually folded and I wonder if he ever played bass again.

Truth - Fiction - I'm no longer sure what is real.

If you make a criticism which the original poster doesn't like and then he replies indignantly, all hell breaks loose.

Our recent incident is only one of many times this has happened.

Several of our regular posters either got kicked off or dropped off because of flame wars.

The weird thing is that I have had dinner with these guys and they were perfectly nice individuals, but something happened when they went on forums.

My nature is to only comment if I really like what I hear. I'm not gonna say if I think it sucks but I'm also not gonna post polite BS about how great you are.

There are far too many ugly forums on the web. This is a pleasant stop on the internet for me. I just like to enjoy the company and make jokes whenever possible.

Push the button Frank.

Granted, but each individual only needs a thread to themselves with their material in it. Then you have a thread you can go to if you're interested in that person's material rather than sifting though a single thread full of lots of different stuff. The original issue is the high number of new threads not bringing anything new to the party.

True. Allow the addded option of simply not opening or going to a particular individual's thread due to "personal" reasons without getting all hostile and such. And the thread owner has the option of bumping it to make sure it doesn't get buried like so many of the excellent threads we've had in the past. Perhaps if someone has to bump their crap 9 or 10 times and no one responds, then they well get the messege.

Nobody likes to be negatively critiqued and I've had my chops busted on this forum by its best on numerous occastions. I took that, along with the good, and became a better bassist and bandmate. And I've posted some pretty damned "noob" stuff, most of which was answered with class and sagacity. Some just want to jump on the forum, post their crap and have everyone oooh and aaah over it.

I call it the "Craig's List Syndrome". That guy with a 1985 Alverez MT5 Mountaineer with a broken bridge, wonky tuners and no high E. He wants $450 because it's (a) 25 years old and (b) because it's his, therefore it must be worth something. A retailer would offer to sell it (with the hard case) for $175 on consignment.

JC - as I alluded to earlier, not weird. There have been studies done about how people behave if they have anonimity as opposed to being able to have the "victim" look them in the eye. We tend to be far more civil (generally) when face to face. Plus I can't see anyone being uncivil to you.

There was a lot of irrelevant bumping going on at one stage. Bumping is not a problem if you're adding content but just bumping to get your thread noticed isn't. We're not supposed to sell anything either and there's a section for that.

There's a fine line between posting tunes for feedback and interest and just posting links to your tunes so that google rates them. That just selling in my opinion. The sig line thing does the same. I put a link to our band website in mine and google picked it up within a few days and we went right up in the search engine ranking. I'm wondering if this is what Plangent was trying to do, all be it very bluntly.

Granted, but each individual only needs a thread to themselves with their material in it. Then you have a thread you can go to if you're interested in that person's material rather than sifting though a single thread full of lots of different stuff.

I like this idea. I like it better than a single thread for everyone's music. It also clarifies that the poster is interested in feedback, as opposed to a link in a sig which isn't necessarily a request for feedback, but rather an opportunity for someone to learn a bit more about you. And, it offers the possibility that by listening to multiple recordings in one space that listeners might be able to identify overall or consistent strengths or weaknesses the poster might have as a player.

Griff's suggestion of a subforum just for sharing music also seems like it would work well.

By the way, it's also helpful when people title their threads in ways that make it easy to understand what's going to be in the thread and to improve the chances that a "search" will pull it up when relevant.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

this is a fairly civil, self-policing community, so i usually am not needed to actually moderate a discussion. i'll be honest. when i get tired of members i avoid their posts. so i often miss these sorts of uprisings.

and i won't read every thread just to make sure you're all behaving. :cop: not just because i don't want to, but because we have tools that exist to help everyone adjudicate their concerns and objections.

can everyone do me a favor and utilize the notify widget if a thread devolves into a flame war? you could also send me a PM. sometimes all it takes is a little escalation to get these kinds of issues straightened out.

Archived