Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"The Road To Memphis!"

Chad Thorne

Tomorrow my band, Poke Chop and the Other White Meats, will be competing in the "Road To Memphis." Winning band goes to Memphis in January to compete in the Blues Foundation's International Blues Challenge ("IBC").

I've always thought competitions between musicians is kinda pointless, and if we win I won't think that we're "better" than the other two bands. I just wanna go play the blues in Memphis...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tell me something, if you know; do you have to win a local contest to compete in Memphis?

Picker,yes you do. We were in a local version of this competition 10 days ago. Didn't win, but some friends of ours did and it was a great experience, lots of fun. I heard that this year there will be about 240 bands at the IBC in Memphis.

Chad - best of luck! I hope you guys can take the local and go to the IBC. Winning just the local event can open up a lot of opportunities for you.

I can't express this enough, dressing the part counts! You don't have to look like the Blues Brothers, but leave the jeans and t-shirts at home.

Good luck!

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

I can't express this enough, dressing the part counts! You don't have to look like the Blues Brothers, but leave the jeans and t-shirts at home.
Good advice, just for gigs if not competitions. Our band's policy is always to strive to be the sharpest-dressed guys in the room.

Good luck, it sounds like a great opportunity.

Competition is never a bad thing if it makes you bring your "A" game. It seems to me that only so many bands can play at the IBC, there has to be some way to winnow out who will attend.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

To paraphrase my wife "don't embarrass us!!"

Is what she really says more like "DNFU?"

No... it's her way of saying play well... she acually says "don't embarass me"... I say the same to her as she begins a gig... cute, ain't it?

Really Chad, very cool. Congrats. I don;t know if we will get to Memphis this time but we have been talking about it. If we do, we will come hear you play.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I'm considering a move to Memphis

That's Memphis, Tennessee.

It worked for Elvis Presley,

Why can't it work for me?

I'm considering,

I'm considering,

I'm considering....

So, best of luck!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------

On a separate note, what's up with several prominent posters changing their screen names? Like, What's up with that?

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Please indulge me one last time. On Sunday we finished the songs we had prepared for the competition just as the judges let us know we had 5 minutes left. I said to Ron, "let's do 'Memphis In The Meantime' just for giggles." He said, "O.K.!" So we did. Somebody captured just a bit of video on her phone.

54 sec. of MITM.

Archived