Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rock Solos

Alchemist

Thanks all. I guess I'll take out some music theory books and get going!

I'd say the opposite. Letting go is the key.....you must unlearn what you have learned!

Seriously though, I personally would study by listening to recordings, not digesting theory.

I hate to break the news, but what you are asking him to do is called "music theory". :thu:

Theory isn't the exclusive realm of eggheads learning fancypants, antiquated terms like Neapolitan 6ths. It's an understanding of how music works, nothing more. It's figuring out what the hell is going on. :laugh: Listening to records to figure out what they are doing = theory. A college prof in a theory class will do the exact same thing, there's a lot of listening in theory. It should really be called "Music Knowledge" because that's what it is.

Pro-tip to demonstrate I value education: No matter what field one is in, it's a mistake to consider Education as some sort of negative. Stuff like "Free your mind" is all good and dandy, but knowing what the damn chords are and what they do will give you an even freer mind. I Guarantee it.*

* "I Guarantee it" Copyright 2011 by Men's Wearhouse. All rights reserved.

Wow, you read way too much into my post. Apparently I'm anti-education! Additionally, I said 'personally', meaning, for myself.

Pro-Tip to demonstrate I value education: I work in higher education, I've raised 10's of millions of dollars for higher education in my career, I have multiple degrees, I work with educators and professors on a daily basis. Formal education is fantastic, but could absolutely get in the way of soloing in a rock environment.

Ever asked a classical musician to take a free-form solo? More often than not, the results areinteresting.

I stand by what I said. :)

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's look at basic blues

Chord progression...

I - IV - I - I

IV - IV - I - I

V - IV - I - I

Ok, now play that in "G"

Very basic, but that is a part of theory.

Before you can "Free Your Mind" in any genre of music, the theory and technique must be there.

Hard to really Rock Out if you have no idea what scale to play.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Wow, you read way too much into my post.

I think you did the same to mine. :laugh:

Ever asked a classical musician to take an free-form solo?

1. I could do one that completely kicked ass. :thu:

2. Your inference just doesn't make any sense, which was the point of my previous post. Most classical people couldn't do one because they have no experience. Just like anyone else who doesn't have any experience. I assure you, it ain't the training or the education, nobody has ever over-educated in the history of mankind.

One's vocabulary, musical or otherwise, can never be big enough. I wish I knew ever word in every language. :cool: Classical Schmassical, it's all part of the same language of music. Any way of expanding that language makes for better musicians.

Clearly, you need to be able to be able to follow along to Louie Louie before taking a raging solo...

So there you have it, study how you should solo in a clinical fashion. It will rock!

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

I joined a classic rock band a couple of years ago and faced the same challenges. I worked through a good portion of Tim Richard's Blue Piano book and that helped a lot. Rock comes from blues so "stealing" some of the licks in the blues tunes to use in your solos may help. Also, if you solo on organ don't be afraid to hold a high note down with your pinky and solo beneath. Pianist who play organ solos as they would a piano are missing out on things.

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

Archived