Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Triple pedal unit for GEM PRP-700

triquetra

Hi,

I've got a GEM PRP-700, and I'm trying to find a triple pedal unit for it. Ideally I'd like to get hold of an original PRP triple pedal unit OR a Promega triple pedal unit (essentially the same apparently, but different colours), but as GEM appear to have gone under and show few signs of resurfacing, this seems unlikely. However, I've been looking at the Studiologic triple pedal VFP-3/10 and wondering if this would be compatible. Obviously one wouldn't have the graded damper feature of the original GEM sustain pedal, but it has three mono connectors (though can't find one with three to buy in Europe for some unknown reason) to match the three sockets on the PRP, and it's better than the basic plastic sustain pedal that was bundled with the piano.

Any help much appreciated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Studiologic makes several versions of that triple pedal, but yes it's the same as the one for the promega or the old pro 2. the left and middle pedals have TS 1/4 plugs while the right has a TRS 1/4 plug

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Thanks Throbert. Does that mean it will potentially work as 3 basic switches, but the only thing that will give me the graded damper function is the original GEM pedal? Sorry if that's a silly question, but I'm only just beginning to get my head round this stuff.

How very interesting to see this topic come up just now, as I ALMOST added a new topic myself today, but went ahead and "blindly" bought the Roland RPU-3 anyway after verifying quickly that my Kurzweil PC3x should be able to sense negative vs. positive polarity at startup.

The RPU-3 has two TRS connections and I think one TS connection. It usually goes for $129 but I got a discount that brought it down a bit.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

Thanks Throbert. Does that mean it will potentially work as 3 basic switches, but the only thing that will give me the graded damper function is the original GEM pedal? Sorry if that's a silly question, but I'm only just beginning to get my head round this stuff.
It is the original GEM triple the TRS 1/4 plug is the graded damper Pedal on the right. The tip ring sleeve is conected to a potentiometer, one connection for the wiper and the other two for the resistance.

What I was trying to say was Studiologic makes that tripedal in different configurations, meaning you can get it with two pedals in the variable config or all three as switches etc.

Thanks Throbert, but I've been hunting around and I can't find any Studiologic/Fatar units that are dynamic. The one at musiciansfriend.com (fairly irrelevant cos they won't ship it to the UK) has 3 mono plugs and is a "momentary control" unit. which I believe is technospeak for "switch". There is a triple pedal model available at dv247.com that has one TRS and one TS. This seems to be another switch unit, and apparently if I got a TRS splitter, it would work as three switches. The only dynamic units seem to be the VFP-3D and the VFP-3D2 shown here, but according to various sources they've never received a commercial release. So I'm not certain, but it seems, at least with regard to a dynamic pedal, that this wouldn't be an option.

How very interesting to see this topic come up just now, as I ALMOST added a new topic myself today, but went ahead and "blindly" bought the Roland RPU-3 anyway after verifying quickly that my Kurzweil PC3x should be able to sense negative vs. positive polarity at startup.

The RPU-3 has two TRS connections and I think one TS connection. It usually goes for $129 but I got a discount that brought it down a bit.

Mark, the PRP also senses polarity at startup, but I'd seen a few reviews that were doubtful about compatibility with other boards, notably Yamaha. But if polarity is the only criteria that really matters, then I guess it should work. I've just been reading about someone who successfully uses a Roland DP-10 with his PRP-800, so that bodes well. Also someone who's successfully used an RPU-3 with his Numa, with no issues. And the RPU-3 is apparently completely dynamic. In this pic there seem to be three TRS connectors. But do all the sockets on the PRP accept dynamic pedals, or is it just the damper? This is something I've been unable to establish. I might just give this a try, as long as I can be sure that it won't cause any damage. I've had email replies from distributors saying even the Studiologic units wouldn't work because pedal units are "proprietary" and won't work with other manufacturer's boards. But all the evidence thus far seems to suggest that this is not true, at least not in all cases.

I think you'll be fine plugging TRS into TS slots, as they aren't going to have some sort of sensitivity or detection circuitry that branches the logic flow on the board based on which type is plugged in, so you'd probably have all momentary values be interpreted as "on" -- though perhaps if the polarity is the inverse of what the board "prefers", you would instead have all "in between" values interpreted as "off"?

I think my unit will arrive early next week. I'll try to remember to report back after trying it with the Kurzweil PC3x, and as I still have my Yamaha CS6x, that might help with evaluating how it might pair with other keyboard brands as well.

I don't have a GEM keyboard or module currently so can't test on that. There might still be a used one at a local store though, and if so, I could always bring the Roland pedalboard in to see if it works. They wouldn't mind.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

The VFP-3D is the promega pedal, GEM got these pedals from FATAR and they are both in Italy, I mean GEMs factory was in Italy. If you're in the UK it should be easy for you to get one.

I think my unit will arrive early next week. I'll try to remember to report back after trying it with the Kurzweil PC3x, and as I still have my Yamaha CS6x, that might help with evaluating how it might pair with other keyboard brands as well.

I don't have a GEM keyboard or module currently so can't test on that. There might still be a used one at a local store though, and if so, I could always bring the Roland pedalboard in to see if it works. They wouldn't mind.

Thanks Mark.

The VFP-3D is the promega pedal, GEM got these pedals from FATAR and they are both in Italy, I mean GEMs factory was in Italy. If you're in the UK it should be easy for you to get one.

Yes, it seems likely they were sourced from Fatar, or rather Fatar customised them to GEM's specifications. But I can't find any VFP-3D units for sale. Also, the VFP-3D (right dynamic) and the VFP-3D2 (left and right dynamic) documented at the Fatar website both have ONE stereo plug. The plot thickens.

So, what I'm looking for is a unit with 2 TS plugs on the left and centre pedals and 1 TRS plug on the right damper pedal.

So far I've found the VFP-3/10 and the VFP-3/15 for sale at Thomann...

FATAR VFP-3-10

FATAR VFP3-15

VFP-3/10 is open switch, VPF-3/15 is closed. Both have two cables, one stereo and one mono. These are also available from boomerangsounds.co.uk.

As I said earlier I found this alternative VPF-3/10 at musiciansfriend.com...

Studiologic VFP-3/10

This appears to have 3 mono plugs. I've also read an account of someone ordering this but receiving the VFP-3/10 with 1 stereo and 1 mono instead. Regardless, they won't ship it to the UK.

These are the only VFP-3 pedal units I've been able to locate thus far. I've e-mailed both Thomann and Boomerang Sounds to ask if the ones they're selling have graded dampers.

Yes, GEM sourced theirs from Fatar -- although not throughout the entire company's history IIRC. Those specific ones WERE Fatar pedals though, using the OEM units and then packaging them a bit specially (including different wiring).

I mentioned the Roland tri-pedals as general interest, but for the OP, the Fatar VFP series is the most DIRECT match to his needs, if available. I was all set to buy one directly from a US representative a few years back, but didn't follow up on the phone call due to selling my RP-X and getting a Kurzweil PC3X.

Archived