Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

do you know "the lick"?

yorgatron

Stravinsky is bound to have copped it from somebody else.

Good composers emulate. Great composers steal. - Stravinsky. :cool:

Excellent use of a quote sir, good call.

(BTW I liked his "Give me boundaries and then I can be free" - or something like that)

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love this thread. The video illustrates how the INTENT of the player matters more than the notes. Right?

I always say context and timing are everything. And I think if ya ain't feelin' it, there ain't much fun you can within either of those parameters. :D

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

You can always practice "safe Web surfing" and use the appropriate prophylactics, LOL.

http://bin.smwcentral.net/15753/dsl-modem-condom,6-M-193342-13.jpg

:idea:

*like*

Hilarious, thanks for that! :D

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Stravinsky is bound to have copped it from somebody else.

Good composers emulate. Great composers steal. - Stravinsky. :cool:

Excellent use of a quote sir, good call.

(BTW I liked his "Give me boundaries and then I can be free" - or something like that)

Here it is:

Well, in art as in everything else, one can build only upon a resisting foundation: whatever constantly gives way to pressure, constantly renders movement impossible.

My freedom thus consists in my moving about within the narrow frame that I have assigned myself for each one of my undertakings.

I shall go even further: my freedom will be so much the greater and more meaningful the more narrowly I limit my field of action and the more I surround myself with obstacles. Whatever diminishes constraint, diminishes strength. The more constraints one imposes, the more one frees ones self of the chains that shackle the spirit

OK, I admit it. I going over some material to get ready for a gig tomorrow, I realized how easily this lick fits in to "Maiden Voyage," why, it's just a little embellishing on the melody already there at one point ... then it started appearing in my noodlings over a bunch of other stuff. Dammit, this is now firmly in my lexicon. :D

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

Archived