Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

do you know "the lick"?

yorgatron

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I laughed out loud.

If only there was a commonly accepted shorter way of saying that......

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

It seems horribly cheezy in all those examples, except in the hands of 'Trane and Esperanza.

The "video" is not a natural thing. How ever we react to it, it cannot be a reliable gauge to musical value of the "lick".

What is your definition of cheesy or corny, btw? Are some licks just naturally cheesy where others are not, just wonderin'?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Sounds like the first few measures of "Ornithology."

I'm amazed that:

* nearly all of them were in the same key, or only 1 step away,

* someone took the time to find all these instances,

* so many of those players had this look of rapture on their face like they were channeling Yanni or something.

+1, LOL! I am not aware of actually playing this lick, but wouldn't be too surprised if I came across a past recording and discovered that I have. But now, thanks to watching this, I will probably inadvertently play this lick on every one of the 3 gigs I have coming up in the next week or so 'cause it's in my brain. :mad::D

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Music is a language. This video, while silly, is analogous to a video where a bunch of people are freeze framed saying a semi common phrase. It has no significance, other than comedic.

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Yeah, of course it's subjective. Do I really have to say that? I should have said IMHO! :D

Actually I don't think the lick is naturally cheezy. I think there is potentially strong, spiritual mojo in that lick. But the presentation of it was cheezy in most cases. And if most of those guys said some common cliched spoken phrase to me, I would think it was pretty cheezy.

But Trane is such a spiritual heavy that it's as if the Dalai Lama said some ridiculous cliche to me like "cleanliness is next to godliness" I would give it serious thought because he said it.

And if Esperanza said it to me I would be overcome with bliss at the shining ray of light that she is, and I would bathe without delay. :D

Music is a language. This video, while silly, is analogous to a video where a bunch of people are freeze framed saying a semi common phrase. It has no significance, other than comedic.

And that's all we're doin', is having a little laugh! I mean, IMHO and all ... ;)

meme = "an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/meme

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

"an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture" Oh... Oh my God, is THAT what you are talking about... ? They taught guys that when they entered basic training... you know, stuff spreading from person to person an all. I can relate cause though not an athlete, I caught athlete's feet one time. I think I'm catching on now. I like being "with it", ya know.

Update: after sending the link to my guitarist and bassist earlier today, I can report that The Lick was flying around the stage fast and furious on our gig tonight -- probably in more keys and styles than were featured in the video. The challenge became, "How can I find a way to work it into this tune before the other guys do?"

I wish there were a way to track the frequency of that lick being played on gigs on a day-to-day basis, just so we could see the massive spike since the video came out.

That's hilarious, FunKey! Actually got a chance to get some late-night practicing in last night and played the lick once ... now it's out of my system and probably won't haunt me on upcoming gigs. It actually felt alien to me, so I don't think it is part of my usual lexicon. Not that anything is inherently wrong with it, but I guess it's just not me ...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture" Oh... Oh my God, is THAT what you are talking about... ? They taught guys that when they entered basic training... you know, stuff spreading from person to person an all. I can relate cause though not an athlete, I caught athlete's feet one time. I think I'm catching on now. I like being "with it", ya know.

You can always practice "safe Web surfing" and use the appropriate prophylactics, LOL.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

Man, I don't think I ever played that lick either... At least consciously....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

We don't want to know how much of your life has been unconscious, Dave.

;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived