Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

do you know "the lick"?

yorgatron

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup. I know i've heard it a couple of times. Might have even played it once myself.

:thu:

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

That is great. I had to repost this. This is funny. I am going to try to play the lick in as many songs as possible tonight. I'll see how it goes.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

And the funny thing is, the lick is so boring and unmemorable, that anyone can play it without worrying about the audience going, "hey, that sounds like..."

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Sounds like the first few measures of "Ornithology."

I'm amazed that:

* nearly all of them were in the same key, or only 1 step away,

* someone took the time to find all these instances,

* so many of those players had this look of rapture on their face like they were channeling Yanni or something.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

And the funny thing is, the lick is so boring and unmemorable, that anyone can play it without worrying about the audience going, "hey, that sounds like..."

You are making one of my points- complaints about how jazz is taught and in turn conceptualized. It may have started with Dennis Sandole, Coltrane's teacher- I'm not sure. Coltrane has been a "hero" of mine, but people imitate his methods without being him ( a very complete musician improvisor blues man )

The Slonimsky book was made popular because of its association with Coltrane. It is a very math like approach a la 2345341 etc.

What happened to the exclusively MUSICAL thing called MELODY? Never boring if played right

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

It's such an obvious pentatonic shape that many will play it...

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

In all my years of playing jazz and other stuff I can honestly say I've never played that "lick" in an improvised solo. Now I might have read it as part of a big band chart or some other context on an ensemble part.

I probably play stuff that could be considered derivative of something else but this "lick" ain't one of them.... :D

The video is hilarious, but it's missing the most egregious example: Bobby Hutcherson's tune "Isn't This My Music All Around Me?" The entire head is that lick, in various keys, with a slight rhythmic alteration.

http://www.crisscrossjazz.com/album/1158.html

I'm amazed that:

* nearly all of them were in the same key, or only 1 step away,

I know, right??!! That was the first thing I thought when I saw this vid.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Archived