Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jaco

ITGITC

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that Jaco played drums on that track. Although Alex Acuna played drums on the other cuts it was great seeing them live during the time Heavy Weather was out with one of my all time favorites Peter Erskine on drums.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

I still clearly remember the first time I ever heard Jaco. That experience literally changed my life, it was as if I had been struck by lightning.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

As to a modern equivalent, I would mention Michael Manring before Les Claypool in that regard. If anything, Manring gets a big slice of the blame pie for the recent love affair with the bass as a solo instrument (Wooten too, but Manring has half a catalog worth of material that's just him)

I agree... I really admire Manring's abilities, but a lot of it can get old while just listening to it. (Watching him play some of those on the other hand, is amazing).

I'm not a huge Manring follower, but out of the stuff I've heard, he was phenomenal on Jim Matheos' "Away With Words" solo album.

----------

On the subject of Jaco, he is undoubtedly my hero. I never expect to play like him or sound like him, but I do hope it comes through in my playing that he is a huge influence. He wasn't my first influence on bass, but years later, he's definitely one of the biggest.

My only problem is, most bands I've been in lately have been short lived because they do not like fretless bass.

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

I never liked those Jaco solo segments. Most of his best stuff, IMHO, was carefully crafted and he played it pretty the much the same way every time.

The Dry Cleaner from Des Moines is a standout bass line, and it burns me up every time I watch the video and it cuts away from Jaco to some silly Vegas images.

[video:youtube]

Hmmm..was this recorded near the time of his death? It seems way more like a manic episode more than a crafted solo. Not one of his best.

I too liked when he was playing songs than these little improv things.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I never liked those Jaco solo segments. Most of his best stuff, IMHO, was carefully crafted and he played it pretty the much the same way every time.

I agree with you. And I think that his best is with Weather Report and Joni Mitchell. When he went solo he was too conscious of his own fame and in the position of a band leader. This forced him to try and outdo himself instead of providing stunning foundation to different kinds of music. But this, after all, holds for all bassists trying to make a bass record.

I liked Victor Bailey' Slippin' and Trippin', just to name one, as a solo record without too much idle soloing. I think I should explore more Marcus in that regard. Hmmm going to Amazon in five minutes :-)

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

Me neither. But I didn't really like the solo spot segments (Slang etc) - I have to differentiate that from his solo albums and his bandleading which I've always thought were excellent. Word of Mouth Big Band especially was great. And there are moments, like in the solo on Havona, where is soloing is on the level of the jazz greats

I love Jaco best on certain moments in the Weather Report canon and on the Joni Mitchell albums where his playing fit superbly.

Hmmm..was this recorded near the time of his death? It seems way more like a manic episode more than a crafted solo. Not one of his best.

I too liked when he was playing songs than these little improv things.

You're not very familiar with the "Shreds" series on YT, are you...

[video:youtube]

Yeah, the "shred" YT videos can be deceiving.

Fantastically funny and "accurate" to the visual happenings

in the video. Sometimes too accurate and then WTF was that comes

out.

The backing audience tracks also add to the 'real' performance.

Wow that's a lot of 'quote' "quotes" in this "post"!

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Interesting to compare this 1979 live Berkeley Joni version with Jaco, Tony Williams, Don Alias and Herbie Hancock. Lovely solo from Jaco!

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1rnu32QpTI

and another live version of Dry Cleaner with the line up with Brecker - (not the Shadows and Light version)

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT75pncIc58

Archived