Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Sub-woofer has mini stereo input...

My home stereo sub-woofer has a mini-jack stereo input (like headphone/ipod.) My receiver has a single RCA sub-woofer output. What's the best way to connect. Since my sub doesn't have R-R/L stereo outputs like electric pianos I can't choose the mono output.

Do I buy a splitter to combine stereo mini output to mono sub RCA input in receiver?

Just plug a mono mini-jack to RCA in receiver if such a cable exists?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My home stereo sub-woofer has a mini-jack stereo input (like headphone/ipod.) My receiver has a single RCA sub-woofer output. What's the best way to connect. Since my sub doesn't have R-R/L stereo outputs like electric pianos I can't choose the mono output.

Do I buy a splitter to combine stereo mini output to mono sub RCA input in receiver?

Use a cable with a stereo 1/8" plug on one end and L/R RCA plugs on the other. Connect the 1/8" plug to the subwoofer and one of the L/R RCA plugs to the receiver.

Since the lowest bass frequencies are usually carried by both left and right channels, you won't be missing anything.

I would not use a mono 1/8" plug, as this would short the jack on the subwoofer.

Good luck!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Use a cable with a stereo 1/8" plug on one end and L/R RCA plugs on the other. Connect the 1/8" plug to the subwoofer and one of the L/R RCA plugs to the receiver.

Since the lowest bass frequencies are usually carried by both left and right channels, you won't be missing anything.

I would not use a mono 1/8" plug, as this would short the jack on the subwoofer.

Good luck!

Tom

would a splitter at RCA end sending it back to mono make a difference?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

would a splitter at RCA end sending it back to mono make a difference?

I wouldn't bother.

The frequencies are too low and, I am pretty sure that most frequencies in the subwoofer range are summed to mono by the recording engineer in the first place.

If I am wrong, I'm happy to change my opinion. :)

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived