Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keys Player Needed For International Contract

DanTheDrummer

Hi,

I'm a drummer putting together a band to play in a 5 star hotel in Asia.

All function material 3 hours x 6 days per week.

Use of all the hotel facilities and a good tax free monthly wage.

I need a keys player who is of a very good standard and who can learn the tunes fairly quickly.

If you have any questions, please email dan@dansdrumlessons.com

Thanks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
how hard are the songs? Would you hire me if I was a 19 year old?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

A really good bass player I know did these Chinese gigs for 3 years or so. Shanghai Hilton, Beijing Sheraton etc..

He said it started out as a really good gig, but became really competitive and the last one he did he had to fly himself out and lost a lot of other comps so he doesn't do them anymore.

Regards,

Joe

I am interested. I grew up with standards, polite ( and not so polite ) jazz, I know how to play softly so people can talk over the band easily.

I read meh, but ok.

I have the ability to groove since I play bass as well.

If bass player dies or is kidnapped the way Jack Bauer was in "24", I could sub for him while you look for another pianist !

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Which country I will have to check my outstanding warrants.

No worries It is 17 MILLION square miles big!

This gig may involve a LOT of travelling 0_0

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Asia as in China, or Afghanistan, or Azerbaijan, or Bahrain (done that), Cambodia, Iran, Iraq (done that), Japan (done that), Jordan, Kazakhstan, Koreas, Kuwait (done that), Kyrgystan, Malaysia (done that), Mongolia, Pakistan, Qatar (done that), Syria (done that), Singapore (done that), Turkey (done that), United Arab Emirates (done that), Vietnam, Yemen, or Bangladesh?

As you can imagine, what constitutes a 5 star hotel can vary depending on which of these places (or other Asian locales) youre at.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Asia as in China, or Afghanistan, or Azerbaijan, or Bahrain (done that), Cambodia, Iran, Iraq (done that), Japan (done that), Jordan, Kazakhstan, Koreas, Kuwait (done that), Kyrgystan, Malaysia (done that), Mongolia, Pakistan, Qatar (done that), Syria (done that), Singapore (done that), Turkey (done that), United Arab Emirates (done that), Vietnam, Yemen, or Bangladesh?

Right, Asia. It's just not that big a place. Most of those places you named are either fictional or not much bigger than the City of Texas. Everyone knows each other and they all stay at the same 5-star hotels. You'll love the gig. A quick check on google revealed only 37.6 million hits for "5-star hotel Asia." Just take the gig already.

@DanTheDrummer

You might get someone on here. If you don't and you could try an ad on "The Stage" website or one of the cruise ship jobs for musicians/performers sites.

@VLH - subjunctive - like it.

@anyone who can't be bothered to read the whole thread - yes, Asia are reforming and Geoff is doing panto and can't cover the keys role. Email the OP for details. Not you Jordan, there are proper tunes to learn.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Ladies and Gentleman, allow me to share some information: In some countries in Asia, it is illegal to DRINK ALCOHOL.

I bid you good day. :laugh:

What is sake?

Japanese rice wine.

List of countries in "Asia".

clonk

Lots O Muslim countries. I'm sure one can drink in the Hotel, just not outside of it.

Ladies and Gentleman, allow me to share some information: In some countries in Asia, it is illegal to DRINK ALCOHOL.
What do you care? In fact, that's a good thing if it were for you, inn'it? ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

:laugh:

Yes, and no. This is not meant to be a prejudicial/bigoted post, so please do not take it this way. When I played in Bahrain (about 7 years ago), I was stunned to find that not only was alcohol being served on the weekends, but that prostitution was being served on the weekends as well. Needless to say, I was watching my Ps and Qs (and my back), having heard horror stories of cruel and swift punishment for crimes, and being an interloper into another culture. (Remember the Singapore caning incident of a decade or so back?) But I was also very curious, and spoke to a number of the locals there, and was amazed to learn that while alcohol and especially prostitution would be extremely verboten under normal circumstances, that on Friday afternoon through Sunday evening, both would be okay as Allah apparently cant see whats going on, and therefore, alcohol and prostitution would be okay; thus the rich sheiks were indulging openly in both. In fact, they were so openly indulgent about it that every weekend, fresh women were brought in from the Ukraine, London, other European locales, and California (I wish they all could be California girls.) so that after that see no evil weekend, those women would never been seen again.

And no, they didnt serve Miller Lite, but they did serve beer.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Gotta narrow that ASIA thing down.

Big difference between playing in Dhahran vs Taipei. Come to think of it, from Dhahran cross the bridge to Manama there a pretty big difference. (Dhahran sucks, 10 minutes later I'm drunk in Manama!)

Basically if Saudia Arabia is involved, I'm NOT interested.

Come to think of it, lets make a list:

Anywhere in Saudi--NFW

Kuwait--No Alchohol--NFW

Qatar--NFW

Bahrain--Protests and gunfire in the street NFW

UAE--Dubai and Abu Dhabi! Alchohol is legal, hookers are encouraged, most people there are european anyway, Yes! (I once sat in with a band of Egyptian dudes at the Abu Dhabi Hilton...back in 91)

Taiwan--Absolutely Yes

Korea--hmmm. Have to think about it. Played in a band in Korea and loved it but in general Korea is not the most beautiful country in the world--Maybe

Japan--YES

Singapore--Yes

I still haven't been to most of Asia. I hear wonderful things about the Pillipines and Thailand though.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

:laugh:

Yes, and no. This is not meant to be a prejudicial/bigoted post, so please do not take it this way. When I played in Bahrain (about 7 years ago), I was stunned to find that not only was alcohol being served on the weekends, but that prostitution was being served on the weekends as well. Needless to say, I was watching my Ps and Qs (and my back), having heard horror stories of cruel and swift punishment for crimes, and being an interloper into another culture. (Remember the Singapore caning incident of a decade or so back?) But I was also very curious, and spoke to a number of the locals there, and was amazed to learn that while alcohol and especially prostitution would be extremely verboten under normal circumstances, that on Friday afternoon through Sunday evening, both would be okay as Allah apparently cant see whats going on, and therefore, alcohol and prostitution would be okay; thus the rich sheiks were indulging openly in both. In fact, they were so openly indulgent about it that every weekend, fresh women were brought in from the Ukraine, London, other European locales, and California (I wish they all could be California girls.) so that after that see no evil weekend, those women would never been seen again.

And no, they didnt serve Miller Lite, but they did serve beer.

It's really because all those hypocritical rich Saudi's are in Bahrain spending all their money on the weekend. The bars are thick with drunk Saudi's on a weekend binge there.

Allah has a big eye problem because they would always say something like, "Allah can't see past the bridge" or "...Can't see into Bahrain" or some stupid thing like that.

I'm Not a big fan of some of the Persian Gulf societies if you can't tell.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

"I wanna know,

Have you ever seen Bahrain..."

I was on tour a few years ago in the Emirates and stayed at a "5-star" western-style hotel.

The band we saw in the "nightclub" was there on at least a 6 month contract and were from the Philippines. They were at least 8 piece - 4 or 5 musicians, 3 girl singers and a guy singer. They played 5 hours a night, 7 nights a week, had a completely different set list per night including costume changes (Monday was Motown etc). They lived in two small rooms in the old part of the hotel and were on their own for meals & everything else (laundry comes to mind).

No way.

Here for the gear.

Archived