Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jupiter-4 samples up at Nord-

sakari lindhen

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's all mighty fine and dandy and all, but at this point I'd just rather see some updated electric piano samples to address some of the current issues and compete with the current offerings of i.e. Korg.

I'd say the Bright Tines and Sparkletop hold their own against the Kronos's EPs. In fact, I prefer their tones. New Mark Is (both Stage and Suitcase), and maybe a Wurlitzer 140B, would be welcome.

I like the Sparkle as well. Clav could definitely improve. I go to my "Vintage Keys" add on (for Clav) on my Yamaha all the time, would be nice for the Nord to have a standalone that was equal.
Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

I agree that there's a dire need for upgraded clavinet. We've seen some great wurlitzer samples recently that to a much greater extent exhibit the characteristics of a Wurlitzer. Since the Nord samples are pretty old by now, particularly compared to the frequency of new acoustic piano samples, making better samples should be possible.

While I can acknowledge that the sparkletop and bright Rhodes' are good samplesets, they just don't favor my Rhodes preferences, and I've heard of others that prefer the overall sound of, say, the MkI Suitcase, which is a darn shame. Only that particular sample is very weak in the high register. I'd love a new sampleset hereof, with the Suitcase sound and the power of the MkV's upper register. I'd love to see a new MkII, too.

Just my two øre. Danish currency, that is.

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

.... the sparkletop and bright Rhodes' are good samplesets, they just don't favor my Rhodes preferences, and I've heard of others that prefer the overall sound of, say, the MkI Suitcase, which is a darn shame. Only that particular sample is very weak in the high register.

I'm not a huge Rhodes aficionado anymore but agree--that MkI Suitcase sounds great while you're playing it by itself but disappears in the mix when you're playing live in all but the quietest of Jazz contexts. The only one that I end up using, live in an ensemble, is the sparkletop.

I have no intention of getting the Kronos right now and I still prefer my NP 88 over the Korg. However after borrowing my friend's Kronos 73 and using it on the one gig, Nord is definitely behind Korg in the Rhodes emulation department now.

I still prefer my NP 88 over the Korg. However after borrowing my friend's Kronos 73 and using it on the one gig, Nord is definitely behind Korg in the Rhodes emulation department now.

I feel the same way... and I have a feeling that Korg is going to maintain that advantage for a while, because based on their current architectures, although Nord can came out with new samples, I think Korg's EP modeling gives them an edge over any purely sample-based approach.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Every time I've played the Kronos, I'm annoyed by the glassiness in the upper mid-range of the Rhodes sounds. I've never played a Rhodes that has that tone, and I shouldn't have to edit it out. Nord's samples have never had that problem. Korg also can't get the Dyno sound right.

I really like the Sparkle top and the mk V. I strongly agree that a new Clavinet really would be nice - with release samples this time.

Then there are so many other, more exotic e-pianos they could sample, like a Pianet, a Kustom, or maybe one of those electrified uprights Baldwin made.

But what I really would like to have is some nice 80's samples like a DX7 piano and a "acoustic" Roland SA piano like MKS20. It would be really nice.

Yes there are DX7's for the sample library and I have sampled a 80's style piano layer from my XP30, but it's not the same when you don't have velocity layers. Well well, just a thought! :)

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I'm not a huge Rhodes aficionado anymore but agree--that MkI Suitcase sounds great while you're playing it by itself but disappears in the mix when you're playing live in all but the quietest of JazDz contexts. The only one that I end up using, live in an ensemble, is the sparkletop.

When I borrowed a nord stage I had a problem with those ep's sitting well in the mix but I thought it was an amp I was using at the time. I never tried the sparkle top with a band.

Anybody else besides Dave and I have that problem?

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

Then there are so many other, more exotic e-pianos they could sample, like a Pianet, a Kustom, or maybe one of those electrified uprights Baldwin made.

Sampletekk recently relesed a Pianet, and since Nord sources a lot of their samples from them, it's possible.

Frankly I'm kinda surprised that anyone would bother to recreate the JP-4. I bought one of the first ones off the boat from Japan for way more than I could afford at the time back in 1978 or so just because I was dying to have a polyphonic synth. I always kicked myself for not waiting a couple of years for the state of the art to advance to 2 oscillator per voice machines. Anybody else ever own one of these?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Archived