Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I Want This

Chad Thorne

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Purty! I don't blame you! :rawk: Being sadly lacking in ambidexterity, though, it wouldn't suit me nor I it very well, alas...

A friend has a recently-made Martin J-40 with rosewood back and sides, and maaan, is that one incredible guitar! :cool: Plays great, and WHAT TONE!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

PIck it up w/ Bill Me Later--6 months to pay for that baby w/ no interest!
That would be a great idea if I thought I'd have the money in six months...

There's a Moby Grape lyric from about 1968:

"Can I buy an electric guitar, on time. I got no money now, but I'll pay you before I die."

Scott Fraser

Being sadly lacking in ambidexterity, though, it wouldn't suit me nor I it very well, alas...

I hear ya. I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous.

:rimshot: Hahh! :laugh::D:thu:

I'd love to just PLAY it one time - to see the difference between it and what I play now. Probably make me cry!

Now, after playing my friend Chris' fantabulous late-model Martin J-40, I dropped into a great little guitar shop that I particularly like, and tried out three of their top-shelf Martins; while all three were very good guitars that played easily and excellently, none of them had the 'magic' tone, dimensional depth, and presence that my friend's J-40 has in spades- acoustically, indoors or out, or plugged-in. He lucked out and got a fantastic one! Outside of winning luck of the draw, you've really got to try a number of guitars to find the really special ones.

Being sadly lacking in ambidexterity, though, it wouldn't suit me nor I it very well, alas...

I hear ya. I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous.

:rimshot: Hahh! :laugh::D:thu:

I'd love to just PLAY it one time - to see the difference between it and what I play now. Probably make me cry!

Now, after playing my friend Chris' fantabulous late-model Martin J-40, I dropped into a great little guitar shop that I particularly like, and tried out three of their top-shelf Martins; while all three were very good guitars that played easily and excellently, none of them had the 'magic' tone, dimensional depth, and presence that my friend's J-40 has in spades- acoustically, indoors or out, or plugged-in. He lucked out and got a fantastic one! Outside of winning luck of the draw, you've really got to try a number of guitars to find the really special ones.

Keep in mind that these guitars get better and better with playing and time. A new one off the wall is not going to sound as good as one that has been played well for years. I have no idea why, but it's true. The absolute best playing and sounding acoustic guitar I ever put my hands on was a pre-war D-28 that belonged to a friend of mine (bandmate).....that was back in the 1980's. That 40-something years of being played had really opened that beast up. It wasn't the prettiest thing...it had repaired cracks in the top and back and the fretboard was worn, lots of dings and scratches, but it had a neck reset and refret a few years before and man, that thing played like butter and just BOOMED. I offered him ridiculous (at the time) money and he just never would sell it to me. My HD-28 hasn't even really started to open up good yet. It's a good sounding guitar, but it will take 3 or 4 years to open up and get that big Martin voice.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

It's the vibration, Yeti. It actually changes the structure of the wood cells. Tests have been done where they made guitar tops vibrate for, oh, days or something, and it had the same effect.

I have an F-5 style mandolin that's about two years old and it;s just starting to open up. Wonderful. And I have a 1970 Guild D-40 that I only ever mic because there isn't a pickup in the world that could do justice to its tone.

It's the vibration, Yeti. It actually changes the structure of the wood cells. Tests have been done where they made guitar tops vibrate for, oh, days or something, and it had the same effect.

There are vibrator-like devices which attach to violin bridges to do exactly that. A violinist I work with also puts new violins in front of his stereo speakers & bombards them for weeks or months with music.

And I have a 1970 Guild D-40 that I only ever mic because there isn't a pickup in the world that could do justice to its tone.

Sure, but that's true of every guitar & every acoustic guitar pickup.

Scott Fraser

The only acoustic guitar pickup that I've found that works well and even comes close to a mic'ed guitar is the new LR Baggs Anthem. It is a combination internal condenser mic/UST, and allows you to tailor the blend between the two. I put one in my HD-28...I'm impressed with it. Installing it can be likened to doing eye surgery on one of your kids, but once it's installed it works great.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Keep in mind that these guitars get better and better with playing and time. A new one off the wall is not going to sound as good as one that has been played well for years.

Agreed overall! :thu::cool:

In this case, though, my friend had only had his brand-new Martin J-40 for a couple of weeks; it even had that "new" smell and aura around it. The specific guitars in that store had likely been played by employees and customers nearly as much as my friend's guitar. The ones in the store were quite excellent, really high-end Martin models, but the one my friend has just makes me want to play and play and play with a big stupid grin on my face; it's particularly special.

When you find one like that, you keep it. It will only get better. A bad-sounding guitar won't turn into a good sounding one, but a good sounding one will turn into a better sounding one....assuming at least a solid top.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

And I have a 1970 Guild D-40 that I only ever mic because there isn't a pickup in the world that could do justice to its tone.

Sure, but that's true of every guitar & every acoustic guitar pickup.

Well, mostly. I have a Fender DG-10, a humble little acoustic I bought on Ebay for 99 cents. It actually sounds better with a pickup, because it sounds like poop unplugged...:laugh:

But, yeah, I agree with you overall. I also have a Baggs pickup on my mando but never use it if I can help it.

Archived