Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What makes better singing?

Ross Brown

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the Y axis should be:

amount of alcohol consumed by the audience.

My old band use to frequently tell the crowd "the more you drink, the better we sound".

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

My old band use to frequently tell the crowd "the more you drink, the better we sound".

My band has used this line, with a variation: "Keep drinking. We'll sound better."

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Back to timing: it IS important to have good time, even for a singer. No, not to the point of over-analyzing it...

I've worked with singers who had nice voices and were pretty much in tune, and were expressive, but their time was so erratic that it was a real trip to play with them. Yes, I understand we're there to accompany them, and have to be flexible, but when they come in early or late on a(n) (ir)regular basis and act like it's YOUR fault....

And you can only bend so far, since the rest of the band is hearing steady time! Unless it's one of those super-slow, almost timeless pieces.....

Luckily, most of the time the singers I've worked with were not like that.

Archived