Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MSR100 maximum output

anjolain

In the specs of MSR100 (active speaker) it says that max SPL 112dB (1m). I have one MSR100 as a stage monitor and on last gig I had difficulty hearing other bandmates. I turned the volume level to maximum and then sound became distorted and CLIP-light was flashing. Few questions related to this: Does this mean that the MSR100 has a limiter that cuts off the loudest signals and therefore the maximum output volume (distorted) is this 112dB?

If the sound clips does this mean that SPL ~112dB is already reached and the amplifier starts to limit the output?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to The Keyboard Corner!

Are you driving the speaker with a mixer, or connecting your keyboard directly?

Is the speaker on the floor?

How loud is the band?

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Thanks, Tom! Yes, speaker is driven by mixer, it is mounted on a stand about 1m away. The band is not particularly loud, but last gig was pretty loud due to the bad acoustics of the stage. I am bit cocerned about volume if it is indeed outputing 112 dB.

In the specs of MSR100 (active speaker) it says that max SPL 112dB (1m). I have one MSR100 as a stage monitor and on last gig I had difficulty hearing other bandmates. I turned the volume level to maximum and then sound became distorted and CLIP-light was flashing. Few questions related to this: Does this mean that the MSR100 has a limiter that cuts off the loudest signals and therefore the maximum output volume (distorted) is this 112dB?

If the sound clips does this mean that SPL ~112dB is already reached and the amplifier starts to limit the output?

Thanks, Tom! Yes, speaker is driven by mixer, it is mounted on a stand about 1m away. The band is not particularly loud, but last gig was pretty loud due to the bad acoustics of the stage. I am bit cocerned about volume if it is indeed outputing 112 dB.

Based on your two posts above, I get the impression that the band was jumpin'. It was loud. The acoustics were horrible. You had the volume up to the point where the CLIP light was flashing...

My guess is that you are asking too much from this speaker.

Remember, your options for a floor monitor include those with 15", 12", 10" woofers. The Yamaha MSR100 has a 8" woofer and you're driving it wide open 1 meter away. Its 70 Watt RMS amp is driving both the tweeter and the woofer (other powered speakers have a separate amp for the tweeter and the woofer).

Whether the sound level is reaching 112dB or not is inconsequential. I think you need to get a larger monitor.

Of course, you could ask the band to turn down, but that would be futile.

If you are having difficulty hearing your bandmates, then it implies that this monitor was connected to the PA system, right? Are you running bass guitar through the PA and also into your monitor? That could easily overdrive it - particularly if you are expecting to hear bass through an 8" woofer.

I think the QSC K12 or K10 may serve you better. KLONK

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived