Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Aldo Nova: Fantasy

Griffinator

Hey, we're just full of ancient 80's tunes getting dredged up and (attempted to be) played on modern synth equipment here lately, aren't we?

You know the drill... logistical ideas for playing this:

[video:youtube]

on a single ROMpler, including ideas for building the patches, particularly that helicopter thing going on during the chorus.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man you guys are killing me with the ancient Canadian "hits" - I saw this guy at the "Sportsplex" in ~1980 - it was my first concert, so I don't remember much but if memory serves me there was something Oberheim and something Prophet on stage - all kind of hard to replicate with my $1,000 Yamaha CP20 into a solid state Traynor (YUCK to both!) and failed miserably of course but I tried... Up next, Saga anyone?

Only Canadian band in our list I actually dig is the half-breed - Heart.

So then you don't do any Saga tunes? The Band? Neil Young? Arcade Fire? No I guess none of them would fit in to the set too well with Aldo.

But I will admit that it is a cool intro to post about - and deserving of more respect. It's just that I haven't thought about that kind of lifting for a very long time, so you'll have to rely on the real synth players on this forum.

BTW, "half breed" is too generous of you - they were from Seattle weren't they - but broke in Vancouver?

And I was referring to the Loverboy post - another band I haven't thought of in 20 years - And no I'm not exactly proud of their Canadian-ness... [quick... get me back to that OT Oscar Peterson post...]

Yeah, I figured that one was a big part of your inspiration. The BL insisted we do that Trooper tune (I also posted about it a while back) "Raise A Little Hell".

And no, I'm not aware of any other CN stuff. As to Heart being a Seattle band, yeah, I guess the fact that Mike was only living in Canada to dodge the draft kinda spoils it, doesn't it... :D

The BL insisted we do that Trooper tune (I also posted about it a while back) "Raise A Little Hell".

Yipes - I forgot about that too... I think Aldo Nova opened for Trooper that night.

Perhaps we should get back OT before I say too much...

I'm pretty sure the XP50 has a helicopter sound in the GM/GS banks - fade in, fade out, overlap (retrigger in the middle).

One sound holds out through the whole thing with moderate filter resonance and slow swelling of filter cutoff.

Use another sound with max filter resonance and use the filter envelope to open the filter on cutoff, close on release, so every time you hit and release it makes that sound - also assign one of the sliders to filter cutoff so that you can make adjustments to how much it opens each time you hit it. Alternately, you can assign velocity to enveople amount. Make sure you have the right effect on it - probably a short reverb with the send cranked and a fair amount of pre delay.

Organ is self explanatory.

The final sound in the intro you won't be able to nail because the XP50 doesn't have the right LFO waveform, but pick another sound, crank filter resonance, crank LFO to filter cutoff, adjust LFO speed to match. Set all these sounds up on a split. You can disable sustain to the sounds that you trigger throughout so that sustain pedal holds swell and helicopter sounds.

Never played it before, just my impression off the top of my head.

Oh, and when I refer generically to "sound", just pick some analogish saw pad or something - it's more about the filter.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

We covered Saga in a earlier thread a while ago :). I'm a big fan of them :thu:.

My world: www.chriselkins.ca

Roland D-70/SC-55, Kawai K5000s, Korg Triton Extreme 88, Yamaha MO8, Yamaha SY-99, Technics SX-U90P 'Pro90'

"I've heard a lot worse!"

Griffy, I'm so sorry you have to play that song :( things will get better, they always do.

There are a lot of fun songs in our list, particularly for me. I can suck it up and deal with a few junkers.

Heck, "Perfect Strangers", "Conquistador" (which I also sing), and "Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'" are enough to keep me happy through quite a bit of garbage stuff... :)

Griffy, I'm so sorry you have to play that song :( things will get better, they always do.

There are a lot of fun songs in our list, particularly for me. I can suck it up and deal with a few junkers.

Heck, "Perfect Strangers", "Conquistador" (which I also sing), and "Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'" are enough to keep me happy through quite a bit of garbage stuff... :)

I feel you, my last cover band used to play a lot of crap but at least we had "Burn", "Flight of the Phoenix", "Lady Fantasy", even a guitar+organ version of Maiden's "Phantom of the opera", those were enough to make up for the bad ones :laugh:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Yeah, we're tentatively looking at "The Magician's Birthday" to keep in our collective back pocket as a replacement for the usual fare for birthday celebrations. THAT will be f***ing FUN! :thu:

Right now, it's all hinging on whether our female lead vocalist can handle the closing refrain (man, could Byron get up there or what?!)

Yeah, we're tentatively looking at "The Magician's Birthday" to keep in our collective back pocket as a replacement for the usual fare for birthday celebrations. THAT will be f***ing FUN! :thu:

Right now, it's all hinging on whether our female lead vocalist can handle the closing refrain (man, could Byron get up there or what?!)

Haha he was a beast, doing his parts isn't exactly what i would call easy, hopefully she can do it. I think there's a live version where they only do the "happy b-day" chorus and then Hensley starts Love Machine right after, it's a kick-ass build up. It'd be lovely to see it, you know the drill... don't forget to film it or it never happened. :rawk:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Archived