Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Really horrible lyrics for a song that "made it"

stepay

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually you doubled down on dumb when you used "You're" instead of "Your".

:facepalm:;):freak:

Maybe read previous posts before commenting on something that's already been pointed out, & acknowledged ?.....

You're attempt at being smart came out sounding really dumb.

;)

:blush::facepalm:

Dumb quotient rising in thread... Quote nest no longer contains... reaching critical mass... :freak::D

I have no idea what these lyrics are. I guess the song never really comerically made it either, at least not on a grand scale.

I don't know what he is singing but it sounds cool.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Okay. It's just that you posted it in the "horrible lyrics" thread.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The song "Barbra Streisand" by Duck Sauce. WTF?

woo woo woo woo woo woo woo

Barbra Streisand

Barbra Streisand

Barbra Streisand

"Pumped Up Kicks" is going to get people killed. It should seriously be off the airwaves.

http://home.comcast.net/~dannylgriffin/icon/rolleyes.gif

This song came up for discussion during a karaoke show that I hosted last night, and several young adults expressed concern that it could become the catalyst for another Columbine.

It was another group of young women who pointed out the lyrics to this song to me a couple of weeks ago. Up until then I hadn't even been paying attention to them - thinking that "Pumped Up Kicks" was just an innocuous retro pop song.

Here's a Youtube vid with lyrics:

[video:youtube]

"Pumped Up Kicks" is going to get people killed. It should seriously be off the airwaves.

http://home.comcast.net/~dannylgriffin/icon/rolleyes.gif

This song came up for discussion during a karaoke show that I hosted last night, and several young adults expressed concern that it could become the catalyst for another Columbine.

Every other day someone releases a song that shocks people out of their toupees. And you know what happens? Some kid surprises us because, after he blew up the school, it turns out he was a Barry Manilow fan, because when a kid is that f***ing disturbed, what kind of music he listens to is irrelevant.

The song "Barbra Streisand" by Duck Sauce. WTF?

Barbra Streisand

Barbra Streisand

Barbra Streisand

You need to read between the lines on this one... It's actually something about woo woo woo Barbra Streisand.

Glad I was able to clear that up.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

when a kid is that f***ing disturbed, what kind of music he listens to is irrelevant.

+1. If "Pumped Up Kicks" glorified this type of behavior, I might agree somewhat, but that's not the point of the song. The kids involved with Columbine were just straight up nuts, and engaged in escalating disturbing behavior leading up to the shooting. They didn't wake up one day and decide to kill people, and music had nothing to do with it.

... Some kid surprises us because, after he blew up the school, it turns out he was a Barry Manilow fan ...

I'm not looking to pick a fight here, and I'm no adolescent psychologist, but I seriously doubt that there are dangerously violent adolescents out there who, it turns out, actually prefer gentle, positive, life-affirming music. We can debate cause v. effect on the subject of violent lyrics (and violent video games, etc.) somewhere else, but on this subject I suspect you're not going to find many dangerous adolescent sociopaths who are Barry Manilow fans.

Larry.

... Some kid surprises us because, after he blew up the school, it turns out he was a Barry Manilow fan ...

I'm not looking to pick a fight here, and I'm no adolescent psychologist, but I seriously doubt that there are dangerously violent adolescents out there who, it turns out, actually prefer gentle, positive, life-affirming music. We can debate cause v. effect on the subject of violent lyrics (and violent video games, etc.) somewhere else, but on this subject I suspect you're not going to find many dangerous adolescent sociopaths who are Barry Manilow fans.

Larry.

No, you're not, but there is the issue of post hoc ergo propter hoc which needs to be addressed. People see that a kid killed others/himself, then they discover that he was listening to (insert music that doesn't sit well with the prudes in society), and assume that the music motivated him to do what he did, when in all reality he gravitated toward music which contained lyrics and mood with which he could identify.

When I was a teenager, I was a combination of horribly depressed and incredibly angry at authority, because authority figures (starting with my family and branching out) had betrayed me all my life. Shockingly, when I was 12/13/14/15, I was really into heavy metal, and particularly drawn to bands like Twisted Sister, who commonly wrote about rebellion against unjust authority and the misery of feeling isolated.

Some would tell you it was "all that heavy metal" that motivated me to rebel as openly and defiantly as I did against authority figures in my life. I can tell you, the rebellion preceded the music, and would have happened with or without it.

That, ultimately, was my slightly dark-humored point when I brought Barry Manilow into the mix. ;)

Larry.

You never watched A Clockwork Orange, have you? :rolleyes:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

No, you're not, but there is the issue of post hoc ergo propter hoc which needs to be addressed...

I agree completely, which is why I suggested we could debate cause versus effect elsewhere. I'm not looking to derail a humorous thread, but "Pumped Up Kicks" was brought up, and I think that the question of whether art can/does influence attitudes and behaviors, i.e. whether it can be a "cause" as well as an "effect," for good or for bad, is one that the creators and sellers of art need to have thought about. That's all.

Larry.

You never watched A Clockwork Orange, have you? :rolleyes:

Yes, I have, although I'm not sure I understand why you're citing it. Do you believe that it really happened?

Larry.

Of course...not, i mentioned because the guy listened to classical music while beating the crap outta people. Didn't you see the ":rolleyes:"? it was a joke, man. Now it reminds of Charles Manson, a big beatles fan and i don't think their music talked of violence...

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

I honestly didn't mean to derail this thread into a discussion of violent music, but "Pumped Up Kicks" was in someone else's list, and by coincidence this song has been brought up by young adults (not prudish parents) as something that's really scary.

It's also really popular and will probably make the year's top 20 downloads, so it can't be creeping them all out.

And it was mentioned last night again at my karaoke show when a guy sang it. I've known this kid for years and he's not going to go out and murder anyone, so there's probably really nothing to it other than it's a really catchy song with really creeped-out lyrics.

Sorry for continuing the OT, but I didn't even realize what tune Pumped Up Kicks was. It turns out I saw them do it on SNL. That peppy little thing? If someone would become a killer because of that, they'd be the perkiest murderer you've seen. :freak: He also sings in such a mumbly style that I didn't even follow what the song was about until now.

Back to your regularly scheduled deprogramming.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived