Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

John Scofield quartet last night - gear spotting

MoKen

I went to see the John Scofield quartet last night. Awesome show.

Next to the grand piano there was a NE3 set up - on an X stand no less. I waited all evening to hear what they would do. On the last song Mike Eckroth swung over to it and started playing. The weird part is that he was playing organ on it without an expression pedal. He was contantly fiddling with drawbuttons and the volume control and other stuff. It sounded really good but I was wishing he had a pedal. Maybe it got left at the last show? Anyway, another NE3 spotting.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was no Vent visible, and certainly no Leslie. It looked to me like it went straight through the FOH. There was a very short time when it sounded like 'fast' and his hand movements suggest he was using the Nord sim.

The two videos on this page show essentially the same configuration but you never get a good look.

http://www.wealwaysswing.org/season/2011-2012/event.php?id=3

I was surprised to see Will Boulware ( an old die hard B-3 guy if there ever was one) with Maceo Parker playing an Electro 2 a while back, and I was also surprised how good he made it sound.

I also heard David K. Matthews with Chris Cain using an E2 and sounding great. Matthews is now with Santana. Not sure if he still uses the Nord there, but he knew how to get it to sound great. Some of it is in how you play it, definitely.

I found a couple of videos of the Scofield Quartet playing "Groove Elation" where Eckroth jams on the E3. The audio quality is not the greatest however. The Electro solo starts around 4:40.

[video:youtube]

The other one. E3 solo starts around :44.

[video:youtube]

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Looking at these vids.... i miss Medeski

There's a new, live Medeski Scofield Martin & Wood coming out today, I have it on order and will pick it up this afternoon. Looking forward to it, from the reviews, it sounds like they stretch out a lot!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Ιs it a "new" album, or a live video from their previous studio release? I'd love to know before i buy :)

It's a live CD (not DVD, I wish!) from the tour for the last MSMW record. It's been getting great reviews, I'll check in again after I've heard it this afternoon.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

Listening to the new MSMW Live CD for the second time straight through. It's that good! It's all material from A Go Go and Out Louder, except for Amazing Grace, yes, the classic spiritual. I think all the tunes transcend the studio versions, especially Miles Behind and Hanuman.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

Archived