Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Clonewheels - Do you guys run Mono or Stereo for live gigs?

v8pete

Ok, I know it sounds like the age old question again, but I'm specifically interested in whether most clonewheelers, like myself with an Electro 3, run generally in mono for live gigs?

I'd also be interested to know if Vent owners generally go stereo for gigs - given that the Vent seems to really come alive in stereo. OTOH, sometimes I find a stereo lesile effect can be a little too much if you are sitting in between the left and right speakers!

Thanks for any inputs

Pete

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seldom play my poor CX3 but when I do

I use Vent into 2 speakers

I am not sure if I am in stereo or not!

I come out MONO of the CX3 Korg

but come out of TWO leads (OUTS) of the VENT which then go into the TWO Speakers

I am confused about this

I believe there is a way to change the Vent regarding stereo and its out of the box MONO default setting.

Can anyone help?

I do NOT play deafening volume wars

Would changing the status of the Vent from default MONO to STEREO help my Leslie sound? Again, I am not loud. SO I hear everything clearly.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Depends on the PA situation. I like to put one mic on the bottom rotar and 2 mics on the upper. I don't have a vent but I'm thinking I want one to better manage my keyboard mix.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I am not sure if I am in stereo or not!

The Ventilator manual is a mere 12 pages long. Surely you could have gotten as far as page 5?

Output

VENTILATOR provides a stereo output. If you connect the

device to a mixing console, turn the mixers panorama knobs to

the far left and right to achieve a realistic-sounding spatial

effect. If you need just a mono signal say, in an elaborate

composite mix or when using a stage monitor or guitar amp

tap it by plugging into the R/MONO output only.

When going to FOH, I'll send it mono. I reason that hearing a leslie sim in glorious stereo probably isn't going to enhance the listening experience for the audience. If they hear an organ that sounds like it's running through a leslie, that's good enough. However, in smaller rooms, where I have more control over my sound, I'll consider stereo. For instance, there's a bluesy gig I regularly do where it's a 5-piece band playing to a room of about 100-150. I run the clone stereo into a Groovetube Spacestation with sub out to keyboard amp. It's a nice virtual leslie and a perfect situation for that sort of thing.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I run mono for self-monitoring, send FOH stereo if they can deal with it, which is rare. I use a Neo-vent as well, my Vent does have the stereo mod mainly for studio use.

To prevent confusion in others, the "stereo mod" that Oyarsa is referring to is one that allows a stereo input and true stereo bypass through the device. The Leslie simulation is stereo (presuming, as per the manual, you actually connect the L and R connections :thu:), but the input (and bypass) are mono (and I will personally slap the first person that says that this is a design flaw in the Ventilator :evil:).

:cool:

I must be an amateur.

MS KBR3D on stage, 2xXLRs out the back to the PA in Stereo. If the mains aren't too far apart I'll pan hard L/R. The KBR3D will (hopefully) fill in for the front/middle and the mains will get the rest.

If your PA is already in stereo and you're not in a crunch for inputs, it's really no harder to run 2 cords vs 1 to the board. I've yet to hear a "convincing" argument that stereo sounds worse (cue unconvincing argument in 3,2,1...)

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Thanks guys, very interesting :) I must confess that I ended up putting my vent to one side a few months back, as I was running stereo and it was just too much - which I think is entirely my fault for not spending a bit more time working out a good panning & balance setup for stereo use. I always run the pianos in stereo, so would like to go with a stereo organ setup if I can get a sound which isn't too disorientating!

I only run stereo for recording. Otherwise it's a waste of time and effort. An audience can't tell the difference, and neither can my bandmates during rehearsal. And I don't use a Vent. The Leslie sim on the SK1 sounds terrific to my ears.

Spike

I must be an amateur.

Well, given this statement:

The KBR3D will (hopefully) fill in for the front/middle

I'd have to say yes. Sorry.

I've yet to hear a "convincing" argument that stereo sounds worse

Try standing in the audience while someone else plays your rig. That'll be more convincing than anything we say (since you obviously have your mind made up that we're wrong :thu:).

01010011 01110100 01100101 01110010 01100101 01101111 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01100001 01101101 01100001 01110100 01100101 01110101 01110010 01110011 :rolleyes:
"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Archived