Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT- Shaving

Marzzz

After years of cartridge multi-blades/gel stuff, my wife got me a trial size "shaving kit" with a brush, oil, shaving cream you have to whip up, and aftershave balm- one of those "Art of Shaving" things. Next thing I know, I am finding out there is an entire community (not unlike, say analog synth enthusiasts) dedicated to this type of thing, and now I am getting into "old-fashioned" double edge safety razors, badger brushes, etc.; I am not sure I would want to consider straight razors and strops, etc., but I do find myself shaving every day and making it into a ritual, as opposed to something that was a chore that I would skip doing on weekends. People have described the AOS stuff as a "gateway drug." Anyone else out there with a steady hand?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gateway to what? Comprehensive manscaping? Sweeney Todd? I'm confused.
LMAO!!

Marzz - I shave my entire head regularly and have found shaving oil and a multi-blade to be the best combo for me. However I don't have shave-gear GAS, if that's what you're asking. :D

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

:thu:

Too cool.

I'd like to add this to my morning ritual.

But since I keep my razor in the car, I'm a little concerned what the folks driving next to me will think. :crazy:

...Naaaaaah. Life is short. Screw 'em! :taz::rawk::cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Once I began shaving in the shower I never looked back. Any old razor will do when your skin is good and wet. A little Dove soap and I'm good.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I don't, but I know some guys that do, including a guitar player that was in my old band and I still play with sometimes. It does seem to be an addictive thing for them!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I went the other way: started with double-edged blades, badger brush, shave cream in a tube; moved to Gillette Mach 3 + shaving cream in a can; now just use soap instead of shaving cream (still on the Mach 3).

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

interesting i used to work at a disposable/system shaving company, we had double edge too, im just wondering how good are the results for you, compared to the multi-blade stuff, and what brand of double edge are you using, myself i used multi blades from another brand than the one i worked with, in my defense it wasnt the main product for my business division

Shaving is something I dread, but it's oddly satisfying once you get started.

Well put. It IS odd that you find it satisfying. As I get older, I have found that I absolutely hate shaving.

I've actually told people that if there were a shot that would stop beard growth in its tracks but took two years off your life, I'd be the first one on line.

So I'm very happy that my day gig requires no face-to-face customer contact.

It's once a week whether I need to or not, and always on a gig day.

-Mike

nothing works for me, electric, multi blade, gel, creme, oil, it always springs back and makes me look unshaven. If I could change one thing on me, it would be growing beard and hair...:(

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

For you guys that shave in the shower, how do you handle the mirror situation?

I had been using electric razors for years and switched to Mach 3 or Fusion razors about 2 years ago. I like these a lot, but will admit I am intrigued with the boutique stuff mentioned in this thread. I used to have some menthol shaving cream that really felt great and I can't find it for sale nowadays.

For you guys that shave in the shower, how do you handle the mirror situation?

I have a cool mirror that attaches to the shower arm, then the shower head attaches to that. A small amount of water flows inside the mirror casing and keeps it from fogging up. I got it from Sharper Image many years ago.

That being said, I tend to go electric these days with my trust old Norelco cordless. I'm too ADHD to stand in one place and shave. The electric lets me watch tv, play on the computer, etc while I shave. Plus it's great when I need that touch up before a gig.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Shaving is something I dread, but it's oddly satisfying once you get started.

For me that would be '...oddly satisfying once I complete the task'. Like Mickey Keys I've found the process of shaving becoming more of a PITA the older I become. Unfortunately one shave a week would become a scheduled event: I inherited my dad's heavy duty, 3PM shadow; it's still quite a chore after 48 hours or so. So daily shaves are pretty much the norm.

I tried switching to the Fusion system a few years ago; it works, but took more time than the Braun, or Remington 'foil heads' I'd used for years. So I went back to those.

Worked with a guitarist/singer-songwriter several years back who was into the AOS thing. Was at his house once, and got a chance to see his 'rig' (much of it was new; a holiday gift). Rather impressive, high end stuff: British straight-edge, special brushes, world class shaving soap, strop, etc.. At that time I told him I shaved in the car, and had to go 'electric'; the mug and soap just slid around the dashboard too much...

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I have tried electric several times over the years-Norelco, Braun, etc. and really gave them a chance, but I just never took to it. The thing I didn't like about the Fusion was the cost of the blades- pretty ridiculous and not exactly environment-friendly. Decent DE blades are less than $0.50 each and last me 4-5 days apiece. Right now I am working through a variety trial pack to see what I like.

ZZ Top- it always struck me as funny that their drummer Frank Beard was the only member who didn't have one.

I've been using a DE for the last three years (I'd been using soap and brush MUCH longer than that). I can get 100 DE blades for around $15.00 and each one of those lasts me about a week (same as a Mach3 cartridge) at a fraction of the price. I recently started using a straight razor on some days as well. I'd estimate that even with the razors and fancier soaps I've purchased, I'd be willing to wager that I've saved money given that if I'd stayed with a Mach3, I'd be spending more than $150/year on cartridges alone.

Straight razors have a higher start up cost (razor, strop, and hone can run around $200), but if maintained properly can last a lifetime and then some. For example: the two hones I have (for touching up the edge on the straight razor when it becomes a little dull from shaving) both belonged to my grandfather--who died in 1972--and I have no idea how old they are, but they are still good. My Mom still has his straight razors, and someday she'll pass them along to me and I will make sure they are cleaned, sharpen them, and use them! Talk about negligible environmental waste!

Turn me over, I'm done on this side...

nothing works for me, electric, multi blade, gel, creme, oil, it always springs back and makes me look unshaven. If I could change one thing on me, it would be growing beard and hair...:(

I was in my 40's when I learned how to shave while I was watched a TV show.

For a longtime I would try to shave against the grain to get a close shave but all this does is hurt my face. When I started shaving once with the grain of the hairs and followup with a sideways patten then I got better results.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

For a longtime I would try to shave against the grain to get a close shave but all this does is hurt my face. When I started shaving once with the grain of he hairs and followup with a sideways patten then I got better results.

+1

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

For a longtime I would try to shave against the grain to get a close shave but all this does is hurt my face. When I started shaving once with the grain of he hairs and followup with a sideways patten then I got better results.

+1 I get my best results doing one pass with the grain and the second pass across the grain as well.

Turn me over, I'm done on this side...

Once I grew a beard and stopped shaving altogether, I never looked back.

+1. My wife and I have been together more than 20 years, and I've shaved the beard off exactly once. She said I looked so strange without it, she made me grow it back ASAP.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I went the other way: started with double-edged blades, badger brush, shave cream in a tube; moved to Gillette Mach 3 + shaving cream in a can; now just use soap instead of shaving cream (still on the Mach 3).

I was using the Mach 3 for years until Gillette sent me their 5-blade Fusion Pro Glide in the mail for FREE. When you buy the cartridges for the Mach 3, it says something on it like, "You're still using these? Upgrade to the Pro Glide!"

I only use the razor to sort of clean up some areas after using my electric razor...just splash a little water on my face and then go. Here's my take on it...no difference from the Mach 3. Both are smooth and don't cut you if you change the blade often enough.

I have no romantic ideas about shaving...I'd rather not have to, but I'm not a beard guy, and with that I'd still have to groom it. No way do I want to take time to use lather and a one- or two-blade razor. To each his own though...just not for me.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Archived