Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ibanez experts out there - need some part # info...

Griffinator

I have an S-470. How many other models had the same part # neck? I know most Korean Ibey stratocopy styles are equipped with FR bridges, which would seem to suggest they probably use the same neck, just different electronics and other spiffy stuff (like the thumbscrew tension adjuster in the back of mine) for the S versus, say the RG.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you have a pic of the wreckage?

No, and I don't intend to take any. It hurts to look at it. Break was clean through, even the bindings. When I picked up the neck and saw the shiny brass of the truss rod smiling back at me, it was all I could do not to throw it on the ground.

I have horrible dreams about finding my guitar with a broken neck; it's always terribly upsetting, worse than most other "nightmares"... Gladly, I've never had to deal with a guitar neck getting broken; I feel this creepy sensation right now, like I'm jinxing myself just typing about this...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I have horrible dreams about finding my guitar with a broken neck; it's always terribly upsetting, worse than most other "nightmares"... Gladly, I've never had to deal with a guitar neck getting broken; I feel this creepy sensation right now, like I'm jinxing myself just typing about this...

Unless you own an Ibey, your fears are probably unfounded.

I've been cruising E-bay. Amazing how many of these necks are out there for sale with the same exact break as mine, previously repaired.

So sorry this happened, brother. Sounds almost like the classic Gibson headstock break - the same break in the same showing up on a whole line of guitars.

Have you considered finding a slightly cheaper model guitar, and stealing the neck off of it? I'm not really an IBZ guy, so I don't know their models as well as some other brands. There is a very good used gear store up here by D.C., called Atomic Music, so it may worthwhile checking their website. Good luck.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I did some research, and it appears that the neck part, known as a Wizard II, comes in several different flavors of heel shape, mine being an AANJ, which is the most common. The neck is all over the place on RG and S series Ibeys, and hasn't changed much in what appears to be 20-odd years.

The only thing that makes me hesitant about cannibalizing another Ibey to get it is that I've heard Ibey actually fixed the issues with the weak neck at the headstock/nut area on the replacements one would order direct from Ibey.

Do you have a pic of the wreckage?

No, and I don't intend to take any. It hurts to look at it. Break was clean through, even the bindings. When I picked up the neck and saw the shiny brass of the truss rod smiling back at me, it was all I could do not to throw it on the ground.

I feel your pain brother Griff. Wizard II's are thin, flat and fast but if the wind blows against them hard enough, it could cause damage. I owned an RG around 1999 that I got rid of because of the neck. I wound up with an AX which has a much more substantial neck....and different flava' that i liked more. You have my support. I've had two necks snap right off at the peghead before-one Les Paul and a Morgan-Monroe Journeyman Acoustic. Ahh yes, it was a grimm day in Gotham City....... :cool:

"Life Is Just A Game And They're Many Ways To Play...All You Do Is Choose." SC 1976

Fantom, XP 80, DX7 IIFD w/"E", Ensoniq ESQ 1, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Roland S 10, Korg Triton LE with EXB, GEM RP2

Only reason I'm keeping this axe is because it's just the prettiest piece of quilted maple you ever laid eyes on, and it has a remarkably flexible tone. The bandleader in my current band, who owns a wide variety of axes from Strats to LP's, has commented repeatedly about what great tones I get out of my amp and pedal combination (an old Randall 1x12 combo and a TS-10) - last night, when I borrowed his Strat (with a Dunc mini bucker in the bridge) to finish the rehearsal, he admitted it wasn't my amp and pedal that made that tone, it was the axe.

*sigh*

Good news I guess is that those necks can be had pretty consistently around $125 used.

Unless you own an Ibey, your fears are probably unfounded.

Sounds almost like the classic Gibson headstock break - the same break in the same showing up on a whole line of guitars.

I've had two necks snap right off at the peghead before- one Les Paul...

AAAAAAAAAGHH!! :eek: Paranoid... paranoid... paranoid... NOT paranoid, IN POSSESSION OF THE FACTS... !! My main squeeze is a Gibson Les Paul Classic with the "'60 Slim-Taper" neck-profile, not unlike the slender, fracture-prone necks of many a Gibson SG... !! :eek:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Caev, have faith in your HSC. IMHO, a lot of gig bags are just dust covers with straps.

@Griff - I could swear I've seen used RG series guitars going for around $149, at local pawn shops, but I may be confusing different series. I do see a LOT of Ibanez guitars out there, though (Wash. D.C. area). Are there really any models that would be worth getting for $150 or less, and what's most likely to have a neck you can use, if I see something cheap, but clean? I have to confess, I wouldn't be able to spot the differences among the neck heel styles, but if you know that the RGxxx always had the model you're looking for, I'll keep an eye out.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

@Scott - the angled headstock tends to take the hit if your guitar falls over. People tripping over guitar cables is a major contributor. My SG lives in its HSC, when I'm not playing it.

@Griff - I'll keep an eye out, this coming week. I try to scavenge through my local pawn shops every other week or so.

@Scott - the angled headstock tends to take the hit if your guitar falls over. People tripping over guitar cables is a major contributor. My SG lives in its HSC, when I'm not playing it.

Safe in the case. My high school band guitarist wandered into his room in the dark & stumbled over his SG. It was a clean break & after it was fixed we never knew the difference.

OTOH a buddy of mine got into a fight with his wife after a gig & got so pissed he threw his Tele through the window of their 2nd story apartment. Then he went down & retrieved it from the sidewalk & it was still in tune. A real road test.

Scott Fraser

Archived