Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Herbie interview on KCET

Dana.

Yeah...Herbie´s homestudio is a bit "scaled down" compared to the "good old days"...a real synthmuseum...

Fantastic interview btw.

[video:youtube]

Jamming with his Fairlight and ON his Chroma

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. I finally watched that interview. It didn't tell me anything I hadn't already heard about Herbie but it did remind me of why I hold him in such high esteem. He's a brilliant musician who, IMO, deserves every accolade he's received. Thanks for the interview link. I'm gonna go practice Maiden Voyage now...
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

When Hancock found hims solos getting a little stale, Miles told him: don't play the butter notes. Hancock does his best Miles imitation on the quote. Hancock had no idea at first what Miles meant. Miles apparently gave most of instructions to the band in cryptic metaphors. But Hancock figured it out: the butter notes were the notes mostly clearly identified with a cord. Well, in the second version of MFV, there are a lot fewer butter notes, but the soul of the song shines out more clearly for that.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Archived