Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Herbie interview on KCET

Dana.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for that. I didn't know he was wearing a hearing aid now.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I didn't know he was wearing a hearing aid now.

Neither did I.

I was expecting his studio to be much more fly. It looks like the equivalent of an office cubicle that hasn't been remodeled since the '80s.

That was so cool. Herbie's my hero. :thu: I didn't know he was buddhist.

I was just telling someone that I came into jazz because of Herbie (and he was talking about bringing in a new audience so it fits).

I went to a jazz teacher and said: "I want to learn how to play Maiden Voyage". The guy just about fell out of his chair laughing and said it'll take you YEARS and YEARS to play Maiden Voyage! (actually not true but playing it well was another matter).

Then he said "so let's do Blues"...

But it's interesting that I was brought into jazz from a non-swing tune. I was drawn to the harmonic textures from Hancock.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

That was the best interview from Herbie I've heard/seen in a while. Yes, the in home studio can't be beat, I for got he played a Fazioli, I played one at a sound check for a national act after the tuner checked it, if I could afford one I'd have one. The people at the show asked who I was since I was playing a classical piece, they thought I wass just checking the piano out, I didn't answer but everyone listened to the piece. The sound was fantastic, it was fun.

That was the best interview from Herbie I've heard/seen in a while. Yes, the in home studio can't be beat, I for got he played a Fazioli, I played one at a sound check for a national act after the tuner checked it, if I could afford one I'd have one. The people at the show asked who I was since I was playing a classical piece, they thought I wass just checking the piano out, I didn't answer but everyone listened to the piece. The sound was fantastic, it was fun.

That was the best interview from Herbie I've heard/seen in a while. Yes, the in-home studio can't be beat. I forgot he played a Fazioli; I played one at a sound check for a national act after the tuner checked it. If I could afford one I'd have one. The people at the show asked who I was, since I was playing a classical piece. They thought I was just checking the piano out. I didn't answer, but everyone listened to the piece. The sound was fantastic; it was fun.

Stuff and things.

D-Bon--your avatar is really distracting during mornings :D

You're going to have to figure out how to take an early a.m. detour through downtown. :thu:

LOL - in LA traffic during rush hour, and THRU downtown? It'll be lunch time before I get back :D And it's congested where I live to begin with. Do they deliver?

What are you doing thinking about LA restaurants anyway while you're in Brooklyn? Or were you here visiting Herbie :)

What are you doing thinking about LA restaurants anyway while you're in Brooklyn? Or were you here visiting Herbie :)

He and I were discussing doing an album of reharms of his popular songs: "Donut Voyage," "Donut Island," "Donut Dance," etc. :thu:

Fazioli, I played one at a sound check for a national act after the tuner checked it, if I could afford one I'd have one.
Duh.
When are you getting a Kronos? ;)
Soon. I need to make those sounds Herbie was making with his. ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

He and I were discussing doing an album of reharms of his popular songs: "Donut Voyage," "Donut Island," "Donut Dance," etc. :thu:

Kewl...put me on the pre-order list. :)

Will it be funk?

Kewl...put me on the pre-order list. :)

Will it be funk?

No, it'll be done in the style of The Police.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Speak like a Donut. Actual Donut. You Bet Your Donut.....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Butter notes: the obvious ones, the ones that make you tear up at a Disney movie, the ones that make sinners run to the altar.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Butter notes: the obvious ones, the ones that make you tear up at a Disney movie, the ones that make sinners run to the altar.

Oh, c'mon. :) Give me a muso explanation. To me, it may mean 3rds and 7ths since those are the obvious ones. So was he talking about making quartal voicings and the beginning of his Maiden Voyage chords?

Oh, c'mon. :) Give me a muso explanation.

That is my muso explanation. If major triads are obvious, don't play them. You've got it.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

ksoper, I know that's your explanation. I wonder though if that's what Herbie meant in his specific example. Maybe I took too much from the explanation but since vague tonalities in the voicings is something that Herbie is known for, then maybe I thought it was more revealing.

It brought to my mind that really strange /Eb chord at the end of Dolphin Dance. I always wondered how he came up with that. I'm beginning to think that it just came out by experimentation. That was written near this young age when he was thinking about butter notes :)

I've heard Herbie talk about the butter notes before in interviews. It's a standard answer for him when asked about Miles. And that's a good thing.

Archived