Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recording Equipment

FawxeLobstaa

Hello there,

I have been writing songs for a while and I have been recording some of them with Audacity, but I need some good recording equipment. I have never bought recording equipment before, and I don't know where to start looking. Could anyone tell me where to start, or what some good recording equipment that isn't too expensive would be? My budget is preferably $300-$450, $500 at most. Meanwhile, I have absolutely no idea if this is simply not enough to get anything good, or enough to get a very good piece of equipment. Perhaps you could tell me what you started out with, if you thought it was decent enough to recommend to others. :confused:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello there,

I have been writing songs for a while and I have been recording some of them with Audacity, but I need some good recording equipment. I have never bought recording equipment before, and I don't know where to start looking. Could anyone tell me where to start, or what some good recording equipment that isn't too expensive would be? My budget is preferably $300-$450, $500 at most. Meanwhile, I have absolutely no idea if this is simply not enough to get anything good, or enough to get a very good piece of equipment. Perhaps you could tell me what you started out with, if you thought it was decent enough to recommend to others. :confused:

Well, I started out with a TEAC 3340 four track reel to reel, but I wouldn't recommend that. What are using to get signal into Audacity? What are you not currently able to do that you want to do with equipment? Do you need MIDI sequencing capability? Other than Audacity what do you currently have, i.e. are you plugging the playback of Audacity into your stereo? Do you have speakers?

Scott Fraser

So far, I've only been using a Rock Band microphone and my computer. The sound isn't the best, and I'd feel a lot better if I were using equipment meant for recording. I guess one thing I need is a microphone, but when I look that up I get totally lost in terminology and what not.

Start with a checklist, and slowly add as you go along... you've already started with Mic. So now, the question is, how do you plan on recording with the mic (or couple) and how do you plan on getting it from Mic to Rec device. If you're planning on using your PC for the recordings, have you went through and checked to make sure your PC is up to snuff for the recording.. if so move on to mic, if not.. look at what it takes to get the PC into some decent specs. (hard drives, Memory, Sound card). Software is software... So hardware is your go to spot before software. (just some quick food for thought).

I'd look at a recording interface (a/d converter) like an M-Audio or a Tascam . Both of these devices allow you to plug in a guitar or mic and record. Both of them come with recording software. They will set you back around $150.

Next, for about $100, you can grab an SM58 with a cable . It's a good, all around mic. Not really a "studio" mic, but one that can be used for any application and will last you a life time.

In total, this set up will cost you about $250 plus tax and will give you a mic, a place to plug in your guitar and some recording software. Be sure your computer is topped off. Fast hard drive, fast CPU and lots of ram. Anything will do, but the better the computer gear, the more tracks and more effects you can add.

I'd look at a recording interface (a/d converter) like an M-Audio or a Tascam . Both of these devices allow you to plug in a guitar or mic and record. Both of them come with recording software. They will set you back around $150.

Yes, definitely a decent interface is the first step. I'd also look at Focusrite, Presonus, Roland & MOTU for affordable interfaces. You want something with some monitoring capability, i.e. a headphone send which can monitor both incoming signal as well as what's already recorded. This is generally an additional balance control on the front panel allowing a blend of "live" & "tape".

Next, for about $100, you can grab an SM58 with a cable . It's a good, all around mic. Not really a "studio" mic, but one that can be used for any application and will last you a life time.

And to this I would add another option, which I personally prefer. A Shure SM57 costs about $25 less than a 58, and although it has the same capsule inside, to my ears the 57 sounds better than the 58. For vocals you'll need to put a foam pop screen on it, & to me it sounds just a bit clearer, less woolly than a 58. It's also the industry standard amp & snare drum mic, regardless of budget.

Then, some really good headphones. You can get Sony MDR-V6 phones for about $75 & are what most location recordists & live sound engineers carry with them all the time.

Scott Fraser

i already have skull candy skull crushers headhones for $70, would they suffice?

It all depends on how accurate they are. The marketing hype attached to these phones leads one to believe they are more about fashion & pumped up bass than linear response audio. But one can mix effectively on almost anything, no matter how inaccurate, provided one has learned how to translate what you're hearing into what is really going on with the signal.

Scott Fraser

You probably don't need a shock mount to start. Unless you are setting your room up with sound proofing, bass traps etc. etc. a slight vibration isn't going to make much difference.

A wind screen isn't a bad idea. I never used one with my 58, but with a studio mic, the cartridge is sensitive to moisture so I use a double, cloth screen. Either way, I wouldn't waste my money on the metal screens.

ok, and what pop filter would you recommend? and should i get a shock mount too?

This is what I have on all 5 of my SM57s:

http://store.shure.com/store/shure/en_US/pd/productID.105905200

I personally think shock mounts are highly over rated. Unless your mic stand is mounted on a trampoline it really shouldn't be a problem.

Scott Fraser

Archived