Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

moog change of plans (?)

zahush76

So, i got a sweet deal on a voyager bundle that includes a voyager keyboard, an ATA case, ep-2 pedal, cp-251, vx-351 and a bunch of cables.

Only problem is that i forgot asking the key person in all of this story: my sister.

She's the one who always brought my stuff with her from NYC to israel. But the polyevolver was about 12kg, and the nord stage was about half the weight of a voyager.

When she found out the voyager is 44lbs and the ata case is 27lbs she said that while she doesn't mind bringing it with her - she will not be responsible for over weight fees. This also goes for the case where she might be stopped and asked to pay VAT (though with an ata case you can always claim it's a used item that you own).

So now i have three options, and i really need some advice:

1. First option is to "gamble". Go for the voyager bundle and hope the fees aren't too high, and that there will be no need to pay vat.

2. Second option is to go for a lighter bundle that includes a voyager rme, a sem pro and a cp-251.

3. A third, completely different direction is to go for another synth i laid my eyes on for a long time: the cwejman s1mk2. Completely different direction, sonically. But it makes delicious sounds and is a lot more flexible. I don't mind not having oatch memory. And most importantly - it's the lightest option.

Advice is welcome.

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to scare you, but when I bought my Voyager, it shipped in its case, with the exp pedal inside. Granted, the seller may have overpacked the box just a little bit, but trust me when I tell you that even without boxing the case, the case's size alone makes it hard to be "invisible", and will likely draw attention to itself.

Here's a picture of my beautiful bride after she signed for my Voyager. (She thought it was another Hammond!)

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad216/tonysounds/arrival.jpg

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

My guitar player brought a new Fractal Audio Axxe effect unit home a couple of weeks ago across the border from the US.

As luck would have, the customs guy played sax in a gospel band.

They shot the shit for about 20mins while everyone else waited patiently. In the end, he charged my buddy tax on $800, for a unit that cost $2k. Customs people can be alright.

In your case, a big black box coming into Israel, yeah you might get searched. ;)

Good luck.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I believe a Voyager by itself weighs 34 pounds. Take it out of it's box, put it in a light travel bag, and carry it on. Forget about everything else until next trip.

I still don't know if it's going to work past customs but it's your best shot.

I believe a Voyager by itself weighs 34 pounds. Take it out of it's box, put it in a light travel bag, and carry it on. Forget about everything else until next trip.

There's no way they'll let anyone carry that on.

Depending on how good the deal is (the ATA case retails for over $300 just by itself), I say risk the VAT, make sure it's boxed up nice, and pay the over weight fees.

Are you sure? If that's the case it might change the overall picture. In the specs and on the invoice it says the voyager is 44lbs. If that's the weight of the voyager in its package - but only 34lbs net weight, than perhaps it could be done.

My main concerm is weight, and not so much the VAT. My sister brought the nord stage 2 in a gator ATA case, that was itself covered in a duffle bag. No one stopped her.

When she brought the Polyevolver, it was in its cardboard box - and they charged her 70$ for it.

From what i found out, the permitted weight is up to 23kg per suitcase. You can add 70$ fee for overweight - but without exceeding 32kg. You need to add another 70$ - 80$ if you need an additional suitcase (which is what will happen, since she'll also need to bring her own stuff. Nothing of importance. Just clothes and stuff :-) ).

So are you sure about the voyager's net weight? Can some of you voyager owners confirm this?

The Moog website says they are 40lbs. I would agree with that based on my experience moving my own. It weighs about the same as my XK3, which is 43lbs.

The ATA case for the Voyager is BIG and weighs 28lbs itself. That means you're over the 50lbs limit of most airlines and will be paying a oversize luggage fee.

You should call the airline, ask them how much you'd pay for a 70lbs piece of luggage. Take that cost and the worst case scenario of getting charged VAT for the full amount of purchase and figure out if it's worthwhile or not.

Well anyway i think it's way too risky. I can't gamble on this since on the worst case scenario it will go far off my budget range.

I'm also thinking to myself it's not to nice to put my sister thru all of this, and make her carry this weight around with her.

I will go for "lighter" alternatives.

So now it is down to two oprions. Both are rack based:

1)Voyager rme + Sem pro.

2) Cwejman s1mk2

Initially i wanted the moog/sem combo for the versatility of having a lpf and a multimode filter. That's of course, apart from the great osc basic sound.

But i'm also loving what i'm hearing from cwejman. It is unique in terms of sound, originallity and flexability.

I guess i have some thinking to do.

Of course, these are all good "problems". Each possibility is great.

Just a heads-up on the ATA case: as expensive as it is, workmanship is a bit sloppy. It does the job, but the edges don't line up so well. My guess would be that this is not a one-off but a production line quality control issue in general.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

Maybe I should have demanded an exchange when mine arrived then. It was my first SKB-manufactured case in many years, and I remembered how poorly their stuff lined up in the past.

It closes fine, but is not air-tight due to the rounded corners not having identical radii on the two sides of the case.

Certainly it has no tendency to flip open, and nothing small would slip out of it. But the grooves on the rounded corners do not fit snug into each other, which annoyed me, given the price.

No way would I have trusted this thing to a bag of any sort, given its weight. More than most keyboards, the Voyager really demands a hard shell case.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

Maybe I should have demanded an exchange when mine arrived then. It was my first SKB-manufactured case in many years, and I remembered how poorly their stuff lined up in the past.

It closes fine, but is not air-tight due to the rounded corners not having identical radii on the two sides of the case.

Certainly it has no tendency to flip open, and nothing small would slip out of it. But the grooves on the rounded corners do not fit snug into each other, which annoyed me, given the price.

I had the same issues with my Moog "made for Voyager" ATA case.

I sold the ATA case and got the soft case instead, so I could take the Voyager to band rehearsals. Nobody is paying me to travel with my Voyager on the airplane.

Out of curiosity -- since several of you own the bag -- how well does it protect the Voyager? Is it padded -- and if so, how thick -- or is it a thin shell bag?

I didn't want to take the chance on it at the time I bought my Voyager, as I couldn't tell from on-line information and didn't get a useful answer from Moog or Sweetwater.

But if it is OK for home storage, rehearsals, and an occasional gig, I might consider switching to it and recouping some of the cost of my hard shell case (word up to anyone interested, as I also have the box it came in -- and of course I would take photos of the corners so you could judge for yourself whether it matters to you).

...if it is OK for home storage, rehearsals, and an occasional gig, I might consider switching to it and recouping some of the cost of my hard shell case.

This. Yes. I'd keep the case anyway in case you start gigging hard, or go to sell the Voyager.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Out of curiosity -- since several of you own the bag -- how well does it protect the Voyager? Is it padded -- and if so, how thick -- or is it a thin shell bag?

I didn't want to take the chance on it at the time I bought my Voyager, as I couldn't tell from on-line information and didn't get a useful answer from Moog or Sweetwater.

But if it is OK for home storage, rehearsals, and an occasional gig, I might consider switching to it and recouping some of the cost of my hard shell case (word up to anyone interested, as I also have the box it came in -- and of course I would take photos of the corners so you could judge for yourself whether it matters to you).

The Voyager gig bag is padded. I forgot exactly how thick the padding is, but it seemed to be on par with the padded gig bag that I got for my Nord Modular G2X. When I was transporting the Voyager to/from rehearsals, I put it in the car on its side next to the guitar and Korg M3 - like a book on a library shelf next to other books, so there's less concern of something being damaged by other things stacked on top of it. There might be enough room to squeeze a thin towel or two for extra protection for the LCD display or something but I haven't tried it. I have an old Samsonite hardshell suitcase that would probably accommodate the gig bag with the Voyager inside in the unlikely event I go on a nationwide concert tour.

Before I bought the soft case, I searched this forum and other places for user comments. One complaint was that one of the straps used to secure the Voyager within the case pressed down on the keyboard. It wasn't a major issue for me.

I'll ask my buddy who just got a Voyager old School what he uses to transport it. I don't recall him using the ATA case.

The Voyager ATA case I bought was just fine! No issues with it's build quality or workmanship.

Frankly, I'd never trust even a padded gig bag for a Voyager (or any other synth that has a plethora of knobs) or is as heavy or costly as the Voyager.

I use one on my NE2, as it has two knobs and is very light.

Personally, I think the Moog ATA case is just really TOO big and I'm thinking about having a smaller case custom made, which would offer a balance of protection and better ease of moving (for at least local transportation).

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Hmm, well I'll mull on this.

In the meantime, if anyone is concerned about the issue I brought up before deciding whether to buy an ATA case themselves, shoot me an email and I'll send you the photos after I take them this weekend.

My advice?

Move to a place where it's easier for you to buy gear!!

:laugh:

+1, and then quit asking us to help you make GASsy decisions.

That almost happend, actually.

I was supposed to be an emisarry for the jewish community in milwaukee. If that was ever to happen than i could always just visit nova-musik. But i ended up doing other things, so i still have some GASy decisions to make... ;)

Just a heads-up on the ATA case: as expensive as it is, workmanship is a bit sloppy. It does the job, but the edges don't line up so well. My guess would be that this is not a one-off but a production line quality control issue in general.

I agree with this. I got the Taurus case from Moog. It fits very well, but he edges are a bit sloppy. I'd say it's etter than some of the cheaper ATA cases for sale these days, but no where near Calzone quality, and for almost a Calzone price.

Mark

"Think Pink Floyd are whiny old men? No Problem. Turn em off and enjoy the Miley Cyrus remix featuring Pitbull." - Cygnus64

Life is shorter than you think...make it count.

Archived