Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I think I am going to like this - IMSLP.org

CEB

This is probably very old news but I just dicovered http://imslp.org

I have been getting into playing classics after YEARS of being away from it. This web project has the scores to about anything I want. The question is what piece do I want to work on first. Maybe a shorter piece perhaps Schubert or a song by Grieg. I don't think my memory is good enough anymore to get an entire Sonata down.

I guess these scores are good transcriptions. But On the surface this looks really cool.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used them a bit. The scores are not usually the finest printings, but they are very worthwhile in evaluating a piece to see if I have enough interest to spend the $$ for the fancy copyrighted printed edition.

I bought a DVA a while back with about 2400 piano pieces on it, all by classical composers, all old enough to be public domain, arranged by composer then by type (sonatina, sonata, mazurka, etc.) The DVD cost me about $20. I've worked on several pieces that got me interested enough to go out and buy an easier to read copy. All the files are PDF files.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Anyone used this yet? Any feedback?

I have used it hundreds of times. I have hundreds if not thousands of scores.

Pro orchestras are using it. They are downloading entire symphonies and printing them up on nice paper. Instead of mailing each player the sheet music, they can just send pdf's and save a fortune on postage.

Wow! I love the browse by melody function it can name that tune in as little as 3 notes! So far after 9 tries it has correctly identified the score 8 times. The ninth I believe is my fault because I entered in few notes of the melody from Debussy's 'Nuages' from memory on a webpage with no auditory feedback. (user error)

I love technology!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Another big user here for years. Not only is it a great place to immediately put your hand on a copy of (public domain) sheet music, many times it is the only place to find music that can no longer be found in a purchasable edition. Need the Chopin Opus 74 songs with German, English, and Polish words? Not problem at IMSLP. Need a Zerlina aria from Don Giovanni with the introductory recitativo, but don't want to pop for the complete score? IMSLP's your uncle.

Larry.

There was an effort to shut this down a few years ago, in fact it did shut down for a bit. They moved the servers, I think to Canada and elsewhere. Even though a piece might have been written in 1800, the Publisher's version might be 1950 and therefore the "edition" was still under copyright. They make a lot better effort to avoid that these days and of course the servers follow the laws of the countries they are in.

There's some interesting copyright stuff on this site: If you live in Canada, Europe, US etc there are different scores you can or cannot download, assumedly based on your ISP address. Canada has the most access. DAMN YOU CANADIANS. :mad::laugh: I think they are "life plus 50" or something, so you can downloads works of composers who died before 1951.

Europe is life plus 70, which gives Europeans access to Ravel and Gershwin etc. The US is frozen at 1923, and will be for a long time if not forever. An American can't download a Gershwin or Ravel piece written after 1923, but Canadians and Europeans can.

Yes, the US can thank Sonny Bono for that. No conflict of interest there. I'm all for reasonable copyright, my definition of reasonable differs greatly from that of my representatives. Its amazingly coincidental how just when it looks many of Disney's copyrights on previously public domain stories are about to expire they get extended.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Yes, the US can thank Sonny Bono for that. No conflict of interest there. I'm all for reasonable copyright, my definition of reasonable differs greatly from that of my representatives. Its amazingly coincidental how just when it looks many of Disney's copyrights on previously public domain stories are about to expire they get extended.

On occasion there is a flip side (for a few more years): Stravinsky died in 1971, so he's not in the public Domain in Canada or Europe. But his big hits are, in the US- Sacre, Firebird and Petrushka were all written before 1923. The same with Sibelius who died in 1957: most of his music was written before 1923.

BTW, the US Supreme court is dealing with this as we speak. The case is Golan V Holder.

clonk

I know Larry, he's a fiddle player. We went on tour in the 90's, his late father was in the Chicago Symphony. It's an interesting case, kudos to him for taking it all the way.

Yeah, Larry's one of Chicago's favorite sons, no matter how much time he spends on the west coast. The guy has accomplished a lot.

I agree it's taken a lot of effort to keep this case alive all of these years, but he's had lots of help. Have you seen the Supreme Court's list of amicus briefs and representative attorneys? It's a wonder there's any room in the courtroom for mere interested observers.

Larry.

Edited to add: Harvard Law Prof. Charles Nesson is representing "Project Petrucci, LLC", otherwise known as IMSLP, in the case.

I use IMSLP all the time. I love that I can find several different versions of a score (sometimes differing from one another) and even a facsimile of the piece in the author's own handwriting. I've been exploring the keyboard works of Scarlatti and Couperin lately.

Stephen

I didn't know about it, it's absolutely great. It even has audio clips of a piece, so you can listen a preformacne which is a huge help if you never heard the piece before!

Too bad I don't play classical music, if only there was a page like this for popular music. I could use a search engine for blues/jazz solo piano transcriptions :D

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

if only there was a page like this for popular music. I could use a search engine for blues/jazz solo piano transcriptions :D

There are. The songs haven't been popular for awhile however. :laugh: The Library of Congress has all kinds of online resources. There's also a site that deals with choral music, I forget the name right now.

It's really great. I'm glad I mentioned this. We should support this site. The only fallout is I have gotten back to a regular practice routine and am dealing with a weird pain issue in my left inside forearm.

I am working on a Mozart Piano Sonata. Mostly I am working on my lame left hand. (mostly using Hanon and Czerny School of Velocity stuff)

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived