Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Out of the mouth of babes

Ross Brown

A few minutes ago while talking in the studio in my basement and playing songs I need to work on I was complaining to my 15.5 year old step daughter that I am having trouble with the vocals on a song. King Bee, done in the style of the Kenny Wayne Sheppard band. I saw them live the other day and this song blew me away. The live recording is very good too. I played the recording for her... without missing a beat she said "of course you can't sing it like he does.... he sings it like he does.... you sing like a sexy black man... sing it that way....". While I was flattered that she thinks I sing like a sexy black man (whatever that means)her point was otherwise right on... I know this about singing and playing but I lost track.... Took a 15.5 year old to remind me.... (still wish I could sing it like I heard it...). I will try to be myself...

Did you ever lose track of who you were when playing or singing and suck a little because of it?

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you ever lose track of who you were when playing or singing and suck a little because of it?

My greatest success as a frontman when I was young and virile, and my greatest failure now, as a crusty old has-been, is the fact that I cannot sing like "myself" on material I didn't write. I can't help but try, in vain, to ape the original vocalist.

Hence, I do a lot of backups, and very, very little lead these days.

The original version of King Bee, by Slim Harpo, is fantastic--maybe the "dirtiest" song ever, but the swooping bass figure throughout is really cool.

[video:youtube]

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

if i could sing like a sexy black man, i wouldn't be jealous of anyone's vocal delivery. i'm just sayin'.

yea... but those of you that have heard me sing know that she is stretching it quite a bit.... Good kid....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Archived