Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Electro 3 Vs. Hammond SK1

Polkahero

The Nord Electro 4D is a great keyboard (sound engineers seem to love it as well). Great sounds, really dependable, lovely instrument to own and play (not cheap but you can see where the money goes). However, I really wish I had held onto my VR09 (I traded it in to pay for the Nord) - that's also a great keyboard and I'd love one now as a second, light back up (or for 'on the fly' gigs where I might not want to take the more expensive keyboard). Does anyone know if the Hammond XB1 is worth buyiny? I've come across a second hand one for £500 and am thinking of buying as a back up (to replace the VR09, which don't seem to have hit the second hand market yet).
Nord Electro 4D, Roland VR09, Roland RD-300SX

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil,

This is the exact role that my VR-09 plays.. on the fly stuff.. rehearsals, maybe even an upcoming gig I have filling in with a soul/funk/R+B band at the beaches jazz festival here at the end of the month. Queen street is closed off to traffic and there are bands playing at every intersections.. the problem is that you can never find a parking spot near where you are playing so you often have to drag equipment 5-6 city blocks.. That's where gigging with this 12 Pound VR-09, an X stand, and a stool is going to be AWESOME!!.. As much flack as I've taken over this VR-09, it may well be one of the best musical investments I've made.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Yeah, really wish I could have held on to it. I tried to buy it back a few months later but, of course, it had gone... The only thing I didn't really like was the non-waterfall keys but, hey, you get what you pay for and they've got to compromise somewhere. Great keyboard, sorely missed :(
Nord Electro 4D, Roland VR09, Roland RD-300SX

Phil,

This is the exact role that my VR-09 plays.. on the fly stuff.. rehearsals, maybe even an upcoming gig I have filling in with a soul/funk/R+B band at the beaches jazz festival here at the end of the month. Queen street is closed off to traffic and there are bands playing at every intersections.. the problem is that you can never find a parking spot near where you are playing so you often have to drag equipment 5-6 city blocks.. That's where gigging with this 12 Pound VR-09, an X stand, and a stool is going to be AWESOME!!.. As much flack as I've taken over this VR-09, it may well be one of the best musical investments I've made.

after lugging my ns2-76 for years, that is exactly why I appreciate my sk1 so much now...

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

Archived