Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best jazz pianists, living or deceased?

I-missRichardTee

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theo's posts fall somewhere between Shakespeare and something typed by 100 monkeys, but probably much closer to the latter. Reading a Theo post is like playing a linguistic Where's Waldo. Can you find any recognizable meaning anywhere in the post? If that doesn't sound like your kind of entertainment, ignoring is always an option.

In his defense, english is not his language and he's obviously just not very good at it. It takes a certain kind of courage to keep trying the way he does.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

It takes a certain kind of courage to keep trying the way he does.
You could call it that.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Apart from Theo...

I love John Medeski - i know he's more of a keyboardist, but i just love the way he plays the piano. And i love Dr John and Professor Longhair. Not real virtuosos, but this thread went to far away now

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

And i love Dr John and Professor Longhair. Not real virtuosos

Oh no? Have you ever tried to copy them?

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

No i haven't. But this does not make them virtuosos - i know they have a special style, i know that this style requires some kind of technique, and i love their style and music so much, even if i come from a totally different tradition. But IMO they are not virtuosos like most of the people mentioned here before.

+1 on Duke Pearson

Jeannine and Amanda +1

I did not realize how much he recorded and his A&R position at Blue Note.

Thank you for reminding me about him.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Richie Beirach is easily my favorite 'learned' Jazz Pianist (learned in the way that players like Andre Previn, for example,who play Jazz, as well as classical. I used to see him all the time at Keystone Korner back in the 70's & early 80's. The first time i heard him, I was astounded. In HIS case, the 'classical' approach to Jazz, to me, worked better than Bill Evans, Chick Corea, & even Keith Jarrett. He was playing one on one with Dave Leibman,. Just the way Bierach 'comped' was totally fullfilling. I prefer him in a solo context. Whether or not he swings is not important. I listened to Adam Mackowicz, & while i was impressed with his 'European' approach to Tatum, I did not think he swung very convincingly. I would take Dave Mc Kenna any day for that. But Beirach has something different in his approach. It definetly stands on its own.
robert w nuckels

No i haven't. But this does not make them virtuosos - i know they have a special style, i know that this style requires some kind of technique, and i love their style and music so much, even if i come from a totally different tradition. But IMO they are not virtuosos like most of the people mentioned here before.

By a strange coincidence I was at a dinner party last night and the host had a Professor Longhair album playing. I was compelled to listen to it to the exclusion of the conversation going on around me. And I was stunned, again, by the rollicking force and rhythmic complexity of his style.

You and I will have to agree to disagree on this point. I feel the Prof. and Dr. John are definitely virtuosos quite like the people previously mentioned. With the Prof. it's his ability to push and pull time and his ability to get a great sound out of any crap-ass piano he touched, and with the Dr. it's that *and* his touch and command at the piano. While we're at it add Allan Toussaint and Jon Cleary to that list.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

The pure fact that you attend dinner parties with Pr. Longhair's music as a soundtrack, makes you a very lucky guy!

BTW, i don't really disagree with you. Given the fact that i'm more a MMW/E.S.T. trio fan (than a Hiromi/Dream Theatre one...), you can understand that virtuosity is not my thing at all. I'm more in the "stylish" playing, and Dr John/Professor fall in this category.

Archived