Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iphone apps

gary geiser

Hello Bass Player Forums ! 1st time here, was wondering, is anyone familiar w/ the music apps for iphone ? There are no bass specific apps that i know of. Lots of choices if you play guitar, but that don't mean much to me. Went to my local Guitar Center, no apple geeks ! They have the irig, and Peavey Ampkit Link. But no knowlege of either. Apogee,Rapco,Line6,all have expensive units. Not afraid to spend, just want to make an informed decision.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome to the forum. I have an app on my iPhone called Fret Surfer Bass, which quizzes you on the neck (what notes are where) and a few other things. Honestly, I don't use it that much.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

That GK interface is $99. Seems pretty cool but I really don't want to plug my bass into my iPhone that badly and I couldn't see using it for any practical application.

I have some music apps on my iPhone, nothing bass related. A couple virtual synths, drum machines, guitar apps, decimal meter and a tuner.

I make use of a couple when it comes to bass playing - not necessarily "bass" apps...

Good Reader - I have all my "fake book" tunes in pdf form. No more lugging big binders of paper books to gigs. My little iPad and I'm good to go.

iReal Book. It's a great app, not just for jazz. YOu can put your own "changes" in, select keys, styles, etc. There are options for christmas, weddings, all kinds of collections on the web site.

That GK interface is $99. Seems pretty cool but I really don't want to plug my bass into my iPhone that badly and I couldn't see using it for any practical application.

the peavey ampkit is $30. and if i'm spending $100, you better believe it'd be for the apogee jam.

we covered this previously. clicky linky.

Thanks everyone for the fast responce ! I'm jammin w/a few iphone users this sat. Will hit them up for info.Gk's setup looks hard to beat. Feelin better about this iphone thing. I'm 58, been playin since junior high. Aint afraid to try something new, if it can make me a better player. If anyone wants to jam in socal,lemmeno ! We do a meetup twice a month in Orange County.

Hey, GarageBand was just released for the iPhone for $5. I downloaded it and it seems pretty cool, can't picture myself doing a full multi track recording on my iPhone but it's fun to play with and it may come in handy when inspiration strikes remotely.

The Pocket GK interface is free, there is also a paid version but it only costs a few dollars. Well worth it. It's great to jam along with your mp3s.

I heard '4 track' is great but I haven't used it. I mostly use GK. I also have the Peavey Ampkit which I hardly ever use and Ampltiude which I use a fair bit more. I have the 'TalkBass' app but rarely go to that forum (not enough time in the day!).

For crazy stuff Thereminator is pretty cool as is BassLine

For training I like Bass Pro (bass clef reading practice), Ear Trainer, Metronome and Bass Trainer (another sight reading thing). All those are free I think.

Then there's fun stuff like Thereminator, BassLine (fun for techno things) etc which you download when you first get a phone and rarely use.

I would seriously recommend the Pocket GK app. Looking now it's $4.99 not $99 but I'm sure there's a free version.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pocketgk-bass-guitar-amp/id409496164?mt=8

• 1 month later...

Loopy is a great new looping device for iPhone.

Had a first go last night stomping (lightly in socks) on the phone to trigger loops.

Just mucking about - no musical value in this audiotrack but easy enough to use

http://soundcloud.com/philwbass/13-dec-2011-21-23

Here's a review by Danian Erskine

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2011/12/12/loopy-a-look-at-the-looper-app-for-ios/

$2.99 (alos for iPad

• 4 weeks later...

I upgraded to an iPhone right before Christmas. About that time, Guitar Pro was offering an iPod/iPad/iPhone app. With my eyesight, there's no way I'm doing transcription on an iPhone.

I do have Angry Birds.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

No iPhone here, but on my iPad I have Moogs Filtatron and Animoog.

The first is an impressive filter, that comes with an internal oscillator, but I guess can do havoc modulating a bass. For what I have poked around it is as good as my best synth pedals at sending signals crazy with a four pole filter, when you push resonance over the top.

The animoog is a stunning synthesizer. It has an impressively lively sound. It features a surface you can use to tweak two parameters at once (x and y). It has automatic animation animatio of sound on complex paths in the x-y plane, so that every sound evolves in an interesting way. Definitely a cure for poor and tinny synthetic sounds.

Both apps are available on iPhone too.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

I downloaded the Robick app for my iPad. Kinda sucks that it can't be viewed in the horizontal position.

Is there a way to use 2 apps at the same time? I wanna play through Garage Band while I try to learn a song using Robick.

The drag is that you can't play an instrument in and mix the sound with Robick, good as it is so I rarely use it. Loopy works with an instrument interface and the GK app allows you to play along to your music files which is great...probably my main way to practise repertoire now.

I have to plus Chordbot - really pleased with this one. You enter the chord sequence and time signature for each bar - you can have sections etc and then it plays the progression in different styles.

Because it accepts some fairly unusual chords and even slash chords I've even used it to fine-tune chord charts for my tunes.It's also great as a playalong device but like Robick you can't plug in at the same time so you have to use it alongside acoustic or amplified playing.

And when I discovered there was no sus7b9 chord I emailed them and got a reply within hours saying they would add one (actually worked out minutes later could just enter a m7b5 with an 11th in the bass anyway.

http://chordbot.com/

OK, I have Jordan's Geo Synth. It makes a great noise but it will take me some time to get used to the interface. It's something that would reward practice - scales, arpeggios etc.

I just got the iReal B too, can't really understand why I didn't have that before - thought it might be hard to download the charts/tunes from their forum but it's as easy as 3.142857

Animoog is fun - will have to learn something about synths though to programme it.

Yes, already got the interface for the Geo - very guitaristic - easy to apply bass fingerboardknowledge- love how you can bend notes without affecting other notes playing - lots of fun and very musical - great sounds too

Archived