Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Stop me if you've heard this one before

EddiePlaysBass

Some of you may know I took up a new job about 1.5 years ago, in Holland. One of the nicer advantages is that there is a little company gym here. Until about a week or two ago I could not care less, but somehow one of my colleagues talked me into signing up for said gym. Since the cost is ridiculously low, and I was wondering what to do in the wee hours of the morning on those days where I have late shift (I have to be at work around 11AM and work until 7 / 8 PM but with the distance and all I don't really have a lot of "quality time" to invest in the mornings) I figured I could fit it into my weekly schedule (I have at least 2 late shifts per week).

So yesterday I went to take the test and have my weight measured. All that fun stuff. The instructor (a very nice girl) turned out to have Belgian roots so that was fun. I figured I might as well get a good start and told her I would be in today for my first real session - figuring it'd be a bit of cycling, bit of running.

Well, it was HELL. She started me off on a bike (to warm up) and I thought: "This is fun!" Then put me on a thread mill for a test she signed me up for (who will get the fittest in a month's time). This part was okay, too and I like the idea of having a short-term goal. I figured I was off tehe hook at this point but then she came with some sort of schedule and said: "We will work on this together." What followed were 5 exercises which increased in intensity and completely wore me down. At one point I told her how much I regretted all those years of not doing sports and focussing on fast food and candy bars. She was amazed I didn't say I regretted signing up for the gym :) After having completed the fifth (I love the fifth :grin: ) she saw me suffer and said, almost apologetically: "Now we have to do them all a second time." I had to give up there, as it just became too much. I feel no shame in having to give up early, though I did not feel good about it either. Hey, at least she said I had good technique. Good to see that years of martial arts actually paid off in some sense :)

I told her I will be back on Thursday. I have posted it on this forum before, saying how I will start doing this and that (aikido was last, I think) and I know myself - I am not very good at keeping promises. But the flaw was always this: I promised other people, and made them my motivation. This time it is a promise to myself, and I am my own motivation. Sure, this may eat into bass-playing time but in order to compensate that, I decided to make November a F*cebook-free month. I figured time spent behind a PC is better spent on a thread mill or with a bass.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking as someone with very little experience in this area...

Usually the hardest part is just actually going to the gym after you get over the initial aches and pains. If you have to go out of your way, extra time commuting or waiting for a "gym partner" can be the kiss of death. The fact that you seem like you have a bit of time and it is cheap and at the location of your work should help even more. In reality you really don't have to do much, the more important thing is that you are doing something on a regular basis.

In the past, once I've made a commitment to myself, I made a point say to people that I will do something. This way I will do it. I hate being a hypocrite and that can be motivation enough for me.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

did you tell her you were a bass player and therefore she should take it easy? :laugh:

Seriously, though, the whole "no pain no gain" thing is a crock, and a good trainer should not try to kill you in the first session. That said, you're in it now so you might as well stick it out. It's important to set some reasonably achievable goals, so you can constantly be working toward something and not just a vague "I really should get in shape." Your trainer could help you do that.

Look, you've learned how to play the bass, which obviously means you have the ability to stay focused on a task and commit to achieving your goals. Just apply that same idea to exercising...

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Seriously, though, the whole "no pain no gain" thing is a crock, and a good trainer should not try to kill you in the first session.

Yeah she started from a basic template and re-evaluated it based on my current situation. Plus she already got me signed up for that 1-month competition so in terms of being a good trainer and motivator, she scores points :) I still think my heart rate goes up if she's around, though so she may influence any test I do :grin:

Best thing to do is make it a habit. Makes it harder to not go. After awhile you'll notice a difference in your stress level and your general feeling of well-being if you miss a session.

Exercise is an investment in your health.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

This is bullshit.... You are a bass player.... what are you thinking??? Get out of the gym, stay out of the gym..... You are supposed to be a bit fat and proud of it.... Maybe you should just go buy some keyboards and completely give up!!! Keyboard players can be skinny and in shape.... not bass players....
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Well sorry to disappoint, Ross but I went back for my second session today, and had heaps of fun doing it. I actually caught myself looking forward to it!

Started off with around 30 minutes of light jogging and running on a thread mill (3 kilometres total, my goal for now is to improve my running and be able to do around 5 kilometres in 30 minutes by the end of the year), then cycled for about 10 minutes when the personal trainer came up and asked if I wanted to check out the second part of the program she has worked out for me.

Next week we will go through the entire program, including the first part which damn near killed me. Had a nice chat with her about that occurrence, and told her that for me, it was proof that I am really doing it for "me". If not, I would have been embarrassed to death about having given up early.

Here's to a healthier life!

Ross, I think he may be into this?

Went for a quick session today, just a 30 minute run and that was it. Surprised the trainer, she didn't expect to see me there :) Points scored, I guess. Not that I am keeping score. Like I said, my goal for now is to improve my running and be able to do around 5 kilometres in 30 minutes by the end of the year. I have 2 months left to achieve that, and I think it is feasible.

I am on week 2 of my 0-100 pushups thing.

I've been doing the pushup thing for years now. I've been stuck at 75 for some time. Do you use those push up bars? Bars-- Not Bras. Mind out of the gutter. Anyway, I swear by them.

Chin-ups and pull-ups are another bang-for the buck exercise; they do different muscles than the pushups.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• 4 weeks later...

Alrighty so it's been about a month, and I have been going steadily about 2 times a week. Tried doing 3 times and some weeks I manage, some weeks I don't. December is said to become exceptionally busy at work but I will stick to a minimum of 2 weeks. I am glad to say that I manage those exercises which wore me down a month ago quite well, now. I also run a lot better; not necessarily in distance but at a higher average speed and a (much) lower average heart rate.

I don't know if I mentioned this but they host this "Who Is The Fittest" competition where you get to take a test in a discipline of your choice (running, cycling or rowing - I picked running), do an initial test of 12 minutes and then get a program to follow for 1 month.

Well, the month is over so I guess I will take the test again next week. I am pretty sure I won't be the fittest, and I will not have attained my goal of a 33% improvement but based on this week's performances it will still be an improvement of roughly 20%. I have evaluated my training habits and think I have found a few areas of improvement.

On a side-note: the Facebook-free month was quite liberating, too. Now I just need to work more bass time back into my schedule ...

Years ago, well maybe closer to 10 years ago, I landed a decent corporate cubicle gig. Loved the job, hours, pay etc. Needless to say, I was living it up (single bachelor, you know the routine).

One year, I got transferred to another building, about a year later, got transferred back to the main building. Upon my return, one of the guys commented "holy , you've put on weight! Your face is more round". Stopped at my parents house to borrow their scale... I put on 50lbs in that year. Omelettes for breakfast and cheese burgers for lunch... and lots of alcohol. LOL

Anyways, to get to the point, ever since then, I've tried to exercise and eat right (here and there). But they were few and far between, but I did manage to drop some weight over time.

But as of the past couple years, I've made my weight lifting routine much more strict, and the past 6 months, something clicked in my jogging, and that's gotten better. I'm probably 5 lbs away from what I looked like when I was 20.

Most of all, it got addicting and it makes me feel good. Hell, I don't drink everyday anymore (unless I'm on vacation). Like some have said, the hardest part is beginning the workouts. The next is maintaining it. But once you see and feel the results, it's very rewarding.

I just wish I had a cute as hell trainer! I work out alone :(

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

All right so this morning I got up 5 minutes earlier than usual because I wanted to go and take that test, but I had to be in the office by 8:30 AM. Said hello to the coach and told her I would do the test immediately. I had been preparing mentally for an hour whilst driving to work, so I did not need a warm-up :)

In short: I ran 1.880 kilometres in 12 minutes sharp, at an average speed of 9.5 km/h. This means I improved my initial time by 24.5% ... which has now put me in the lead for this competition :grin: The guy who held that title before me improved 21% so I beat him fair and square. Mind you, there's about 50 more people who need to take this test, but today this victory is mine.

New goals? Run 2 km flat in 12 minutes, and run 5 km in 30 minutes (at a constant speed of 10 km/h). I think the first will be achieved before year end, but I am unsure about the deadline for the second one.

Congrats and keep up the good work!

Thanks! The support of this forum actually means a lot to me.

I just wish I had a cute as hell trainer! I work out alone :(

She is working hard towards finding a different means of employment elsewhere and even though I will hate to see her go, I am helping her the best I can. In the past, some of my best work relationships were H.R. based and I am really pooling together all the info I can find.

Would hate to see her go but at the same time I would be so happy to see someone achieve their life's goal, that whatever comes before or after will be worth it. And if we turn out to be friends, our friendship will endure.

• 5 months later...
New goals? Run 2 km flat in 12 minutes, and run 5 km in 30 minutes (at a constant speed of 10 km/h). I think the first will be achieved before year end, but I am unsure about the deadline for the second one.

I never change ... Earlier this week it hit me that with regards to sports, I have been "faking it" as we bassists might say. Sure, I go to the gym and work out and do all the things that, on the surface, seem valid. But that's it. Nothing more. No better food habits, no real training for progression and stuff. Just going through the motions well enough to fool the average Joe. Disheartening :( And no, I still do not run 2 km in 12 minutes. Forgot all about this goal, which is why I looked up this thread.

The next couple of weeks are dedicated to other stuff, but come June I will be restarting my training program with weights (temporarily stopped due to the dislocated shoulder issue) and like with bass, I will / want / need to take a more serious approach to it. After all, it's called a work-out ... :rolleyes:

Archived