Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dear Abby -Should I quit my gig?

LX88

I know who the real jerk is all right....it is the guy that I have been working for.

The problem is that it can be hard to find people to work with who don't have a screw loose somewhere.

I went to talk to another bandleader Monday.... this guy gets better paying work but it is less consistent. And during the meeting I had to listen to his constant references to how great he thinks he is. So that might be just another problem.

I am still making calls, trying to get some things happening. Everyone is slow right now, and the Christmas gigs are way down from a few years ago.

Maybe the customers and audiences are tired of hearing musicians calling each other names on the bandstands.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went to talk to another bandleader Monday...And during the meeting I had to listen to his constant references to how great he thinks he is. So that might be just another problem.

I don't know you well at all, but I read between the lines and I can just visualize you at that meeting . . . :rolleyes::facepalm:

BIG red flag right there.

Yeah, there is no such thing as the perfect band situation - I've had a love-hate relationship with mine for four years now.

However, if you think this guy is full of himself at a first meeting when both of you should be on best behavior. . . if that's the way you perceive his "best behavior" now - well, it ain't gonna git better.

-Mike

Yep...it looks like it could be more of the same. A common denominator is alcohol consumption... never a good sign.

I don't know what it is but for some reason some musicians seem to think that it is quite OK to drink on the job. I wouldn't even consider it. I may sound like a wimp but in just about any other profession, you can't get away with being even semi hammered.

By the way I just read some parts of Sammy Hagar's accounts of working with Van Halen. For some reason, I assumed that an act of this magnitude wouldn't have the huge issues it has.

Hagar pulled no punches in describing what it was like to work around Eddie. Apparently EVH has been quite "out of it" for a long while. Hmmmm.

So even on some major gigs there are these types of issues. With all the opportunity that some of these people enjoy.... I just don't get it. Van Halen, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Michael Jackson. Wow. Some serious damage, and yet so much talent gone to waste.

Today, I am glad that there is no monkey on my back. I may have to put up with jerks but I can put it behind me most of the time.

Maybe success isn't all it is cracked up to be.

So even on some major gigs there are these types of issues. With all the opportunity that some of these people enjoy.... I just don't get it. Van Halen, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Michael Jackson. Wow. Some serious damage, and yet so much talent gone to waste.

I think you may underestimate the sacrifices those people had to make to get where they got. Yes, they had opportunities, however all of them sacrificed family relationships, childhoods, stability, and the luxury of walking to the corner store without it being front page news. Add to that the pressure of large numbers of people depending on you to perform so they can feed their families and having to meet the world's expectations, and it's not surprising they get a little loopy. It would be more surprising if they didn't.

Maybe success isn't all it is cracked up to be.

Maybe it is. Or maybe, like everything else in life, it's a double-edged sword.

I'm certain they had their share of jerks to put up with too. The bigger the paycheque, the bigger the jerks.

Success is a subjective thing. Maybe their definition is/was different than we assume. For some of them success might have meant emotional security. Or to be able to do what they loved without having to dodge paparazzi. What's clear is that whatever success we think they had wasn't satisfying enough to them to keep that monkey off their back (in MJ's case, literally!).

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Two giant bands come to mind

the giant among giants The Beattles

Cream definite tension

Hendrix to a degree

Painful situations are equal opportunity callers

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Archived