Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog 500 series

Alchemist

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, mentioned in the AES thread earlier.

I'm not sure how it would be used, given that it is oriented towards studio production vs. modular synthesis. But it shore looks purty.

Can anyone enlighten us on its utility in the studio, and its value vs. the $900 price tag? :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

"Can anyone enlighten us on its utility in the studio, and its value vs. the $900 price tag? "

I have a Frostwave Resonator (a clone of a Korg MS-20 filter in a stomp box enclosure) and I run stuff (not just keyboards stuff) through that now and then. So I can certainly see the advantage of having a filter in a rack and ready to go whenever you wanted. But that price tag. Yikes. Especially when you could get a Moogerfooger for a lot less (or a Little Phatty (that you can run audio through) for just a little more). It seems like all the 500 rack stuff is more expensive than its non-500 equivalent. Even the empty racks seem really expensive for what they do.

But that Moog looks totally hot. Imagine a whole rack full of those. Wow.

As I've mentioned on other forums, this is not made for synth enthusiasts but for professional studios who are already invested in the very popular 500 series format.

I hope, however, that this helps Moog move towards the modular synth market. I would love to see them offer the Moogerfooger line in the 5U modular format for the same cost as the current line. That would be bad ass.

I agree -- would be interested in modular synthesis based racks from Moog.

It does appear that this module does not fit the bill, but there must be a specific market or two they are going after.

As for the 500 series racks, TinderArts hit the nail on the head regarding the caveats and the recommendations. There is one more brand that has good specs but I forgot the name as it seemed vaporware for several years so I lost faith.

I have resisted going 500 series so far -- every time I compare specs vs. equivalent non-500 modules (when available) the latter wins by a pip (either feature-wise or value-wise).

It is not, however, the case that 500 series modules are universally more expensive than their non-500 equivalents; there are quite a few cases where much savings can be had by going 500 series.

In the end though, I concluded that there were no 500-only modules that I truly needed, and that I better trust the power supply regulation and shielding designs of high-end manufacturers as applied to specific rack modules than generalized power from a couple of vendors as mentioned above.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

Archived