Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amazon MP3 spam - 99 Mozart Masterpieces $1

Tenstrum

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks -- I have an Amazon MP3 credit to blow by tomorrow (or I lose it), and was struggling to find something I could bear to have in MP3 form. Usually I go for MP3-only tracks but those are quite rare.

It's always nice to have a cheap collection like this while fleshing out the library with preferred recordings, just for reference.

Most of these are good performances as well (I'm listening as background music to block out distracting noises while I work from home today), and a few of the pieces are not recorded very often.

You might want to correct your spelling on the topic header though, so people know what you're referring to.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

You might want to correct your spelling on the topic header though, so people know what you're referring to.

D'OH! Fixed.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

I've now gotten as far as my conservatory audition piece (going back more decades than I care to announce), which is a piece that I am very unforgiving on.

I am extremely pleased with Igor Praschuk's performance on clarinet. I have never heard of him before, but presumably he is the principal clarinetist of the accompanying St. Petersburg Symphony (who also do a fine job).

I am quite enjoying ALL of these performances, finding them light enough but not too "cute".

My favourite Mozart conductor was Charles Mackerras, who died recently, and he spent much of his career conducting in Eastern Europe (Prague in particular), so maybe we can expect more sympathetic renditions from that corner of Europe than the often heavy-handed approach in the west.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

...so maybe we can expect more sympathetic renditions from that corner of Europe than the often heavy-handed approach in the west.

I'm going to have to confess my total ignorance of this sort of thing, but I'm a little confused. Mozart's music is written down of sheets of paper, stamped and sealed, so to speak. I thought the process of notating music was done specifically to insure that it is performed as the author intended. How much "heavy-handedness" is possible with that going on?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

It wasn't until the Romantic era that composers got super-detailed about micro-managing every detail of a performance.

In fact, piano pedaling instructions were rarely found in scores until the Impressionists came along.

I found the Mackerras box set of all of Mozart's symphonies for $15 a couple of years ago, and was blown away by how they transformed under this conductor.

I had previously found most of them stodgy and unimaginative -- except for the well-know favourites, of course. Boy, was I wrong!

Under Mackerras' thoughtful wand, many of the early works for the first time show Mozart's homage to J.S. Bach -- as do many of these performances in the Amazon Mozart Special.

I have now concluded that Mozart didn't write a single piece of boring or derivative music; it's just that most performers and conductors are not up to the task of doing his music justice.

It's been said that any pianist who tackles his piano concertos is either a fool or a genius on the level of Mozart himself.

Looks like the price is back up to $8. Still not a bad deal.

Out of curiosity, do you all mind these types of posts? I'm generally very hesitant about posting "slick deals" as I don't want to be considered a spammer, but since this is a music forum....you get where I'm heading.

Tenstrum

Out of curiosity, do you all mind these types of posts?

Not me. I love it. I took advantage of the offer and also passed it on to my Facebook homies. Thanks!

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Not at all -- I don't really browse the web, so miss things I wouldn't be looking for in a directed/focused way.

Archived