Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is there anyone cooler than Morris Day?

stepay

Hadn't seen him in a while, and tonight he was on The Tonight Show. His band "The Original Seven" (new name for The Time) performed and they were great. He was as cool as could be.

If there's anyone cooler living or dead, I'd like to know who that is.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most recently, Morris Day is/was the band leader on the talk show Baisden After Dark. It may or may not be on anymore. Not sure what station it was on either. I didn't have a cable for a long time and only got like 3 or 4 channels, and that show was always on late at night and I ended up watching it fairly often. Anyway, the band always sounded amazing, and they usually accompanied the guest musicians they'd have on the show as well. Maybe only Miles Davis has Day beat when it comes to swagger.

Way cool. It sounded spot on with those Obies up there!! It has that classic vibe but also sounded pretty fresh at the same time.

:thu:

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I'll have to say Otis Day isn't cooler than Morris Day.

Also, Prince is THE MAN on guitar and a better musician than Morris Day, but I'll have to say Morris wins the coolness factor hands down.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Also, Prince is THE MAN on guitar and a better musician than Morris Day, but I'll have to say Morris wins the coolness factor hands down.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

http://www.culturebully.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/prince-superbowl-guitar-pose.jpg

Hadn't seen him in a while, and tonight he was on The Tonight Show. His band "The Original Seven" (new name for The Time) performed and they were great. He was as cool as could be.

If there's anyone cooler living or dead, I'd like to know who that is.

Nicest suits EVER!!!

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Monte is still in the band (2:32). There is no Morris without Prince. (Morris used to be Princes drummer back before he was Prince.

That said, Morris and The Time are just bad ass! Ive seen them a number of times over the last few decades, and they just slam it hard. LOUD, but tight and powerful.

And honestly..does it get any funnier to boot? (I gotta brass waterbed.)

Thanks for the clip

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

http://www.culturebully.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/prince-superbowl-guitar-pose.jpg

I guess we will.

I love Prince, and I think he's the best guitarist on the planet, and he IS cool, but there's a driver of the coolness car, and it has a backseat.

Morris Day drives that coolness car.

Prince is in the backseat.

I watch Prince play and I think, "Man that was AWESOME!" I watch Morris Day and I think, "Damn that man is COOL!"

[Disclaimer - As coolness is subjective, your opinion may vary.]

Steve (Stevie Ray)

They're still performing with confidence and vitality, that's nice to see. However, the new material seems pretty weak. Relying on old sounds and old formulas, playing it safe, no attempt at evolution, and that new song lacks a strong hook, which makes me wonder whether they still have the knack for it. But I have to agree MD is pretty damn cool.

This could be grist for another thread: which pop/rock/funk bands have been able to write some really strong songs as the key band members enter their golden years? I suspect it would be a short list.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Archived