Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Coolest guitarist to come out of Seattle in the 90's ....

TRIAD999

Once again critical personalities are left out of a Guitar Player poll. As respectable as the the names represented there are they missing one of the true greats. What does Jerry Cantrell and AIC have to do to be counted in these 90's retrospectives as a major force? For cryin' out loud they came back from the dead!

No band from that time and place better presented a blend of grunge and heavy rock, not to mention some of the most beautiful ballad work! As great as all the bands from the era are and were other than Chris Cornell, none showed more versatility of style and substance as Alice in Chains and Jerry Cantrell is the driving force behind the creativity (no offense to Layne) not to mention being a guitarist on a whole other level from the guys mentioned in the poll. C'mon you guys, give the guy his due, for Christ sake!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coolest 1990 Seattle guitarists for me?

1) Kim Thayil

2) Jerry Cantrell

3) Stone Gossard

4) Mike McCready

In that order.

There were others I respect, but they're my faves.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

The OP sounds a tad spammy....only 2 posts....

Naaa, check his other/last post, he's responding to GP's publication and 'site both times; he's just not a post-o-matic windbag like me! :D:thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Cool guitarist out of Seattle in the 90's? I thought the whole point of grunge was to lose the whole boring muso virtuosic display of guitar wankery in favor of "attitude". How do you find a cool guitarist in a style that downs the development of playing ability as uncool? Would it be the guy who plays the least, or the worst, or on the cruddiest instrument?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

The OP sounds a tad spammy....only 2 posts....

Naaa, check his other/last post, he's responding to GP's publication and 'site both times; he's just not a post-o-matic windbag like me! :D:thu:

K - cool... :wave:

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

What little I heard of '90s Seattle grunge didn't inspire me to check out a lot of their work, though I still love "Black Hole Sun" for some reason.

I guess I never really understood the grunge and earlier punk concepts, that it was cool to be a lousy player with a nasty attitude.... my teenage years were past already.

But yes, I can certainly understand getting tired of endless shredding. My shredding these days is limited to cutting up credit cards! But you can play well without doing 32-note 3 octave arpeggios on nondescript songs.

Coolest 1990 Seattle guitarists for me?

1) Kim Thayil

2) Jerry Cantrell

3) Stone Gossard

4) Mike McCready

In that order.

There were others I respect, but they're my faves.

I realize the thread is stale, this is the Internet and nobody cares...but I feel compelled to correct my words. My list should have read:

1) Kim Thayil

2) Michael Wilton

3) Chris DeGarmo

4) Jerry Cantrell

5) Stone Gossard

6) Mike McCready

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Archived