Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Celtic/Bag/Uillean pipes for Kontakt?

Analogaddict

I'm looking for a playable collection of pipe sounds. Drones are a plus, but the melodic part is the most important. Can anybody recommend a library for Kontakt 3 (I'll be using my Receptor, which is running K3)..? I know of the Big Fish and Boldersounds libraries, but I'll gladly take tips. The Boldersounds library sounds really good to me, and seems to have some nice Kontakt scripting.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I didn't see this topic until already reading and replying to the PM. Here it is for others to read (though I have edited it for public consumption):

By far the best library is the one that Dennis Burns of Bolder Sounds did originally for the MOTIF and then ported to Kontakt. He recently updated his with more scripting. He seems to be the only one to do a good job of drones -- all the other vendors appear to implement drones in a way that is either not performance-friendly or isn't even possible in the same pass (if in the studio vs. at a gig). That is, many libraries implement the drone as a SEPARATE preset!

I also have Bela D Media's Celtic Winds collection for Kontakt, but haven't used it yet as I first need to put some time into studying its wind controller implementation. It MIGHT be the best but is also expensive.

All I can say is that Dennis Burns of Bolder Sounds is a fine gentleman and knows what he's doing, and does a great job of supporting and updating his products, as well as having a deep understanding of folk instruments and how they're played. No one else comes close in that regard.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The bagpipes that came with Kontakt 4 sound really damn good in my opinion. Half the battle is knowing HOW to play them and what's appropriate in terms of the correct scale and how to use the drone note.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I haven't checked those recently but they might be derived from Dennis Burns' collection, as NI works with a LOT of vendors to extract subsets for their free Kontakt library.

Nevertheless, the drone is critical, and I settled upon the Bolder Sounds collection as the only one that allowed me to properly deal with the drone while playing the melody, in addition to representing the full suite of bagpipe types (Uillean, Highland, Pub Pipes, Eastern European (Balkan), etc.).

The Bolder Sounds library is dirt cheap and frequently (including recently) goes on sale.

Dennis has also done a magnificent job of other folk and ancient instruments, including the banjo and even including a fretless banjo! I have consistently found his libraries the most musical, even in cases where the sample size may be shallower than some more recent libraries.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 2 weeks later...

Whoah, what do you know, but there's a brand new mega-bagpipe library for Kontakt that just got announced/released this week:

http://www.epipes.co.uk/

I'm going to check this one out real soon. It looks heavily scripted, with lots of parameters, so may end up being the most playable and versatile bagpipe VI yet.

To clarify, this "new" one was off my radar before, because it was Windows-only until just now:

http://www.epipes.co.uk/about.html

Even so, this looks to be a huge update, and it is unlikely that earlier versions were competitive with the library from Bolder Sounds or the patches in Bela D Media's Celtic Winds collection.

Archived