Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question for the expert peeps

Fumblyfingers

Okay so can anyone identify this guitar. No markings.

A friend's dad bought it and asked if I knew anything about it. I have not seen it other than these pictures. Unfortunately, the photographer did not realize how important a headstock picture is.

The "wood" looks extremely cheap as does the stencil. However, I have come across Oscar Schmidt guitars that look just like it and they went for $400 or so.

With some of the hand painted guitars from that period that are color, I read that they the basic outline of the scene was stenciled and then hand colored from there...filled in. Maybe they released some with just the stencil to save money.

I feel like I have seen this exact beach scene stencil(?) before and have seen guitars just like this with the slotted headstock/tuners and black tuning buttons........ but for the life of me I am having a hard time finding one just like it. Do you reckon it is a toy guitar....literally? One of those $10 toy guitars back in the 50's that came in a cardboard box and were no-name brands?

My guess is something like a Kay, Silvertone, Harmony, Sears, Montgomery Ward, Stella etc catalogue type guitar from the 1950's. I doubt this instrument has much value at all....the rosette, binding etc is all painted etc, no detail in the girl's face. The bridge is interesting...maybe it was added later as a repair, but it looks like a well made acoustic bridge....but no compensation though.....I can't tell if the saddle is metal......the flash flares on it.

Any ideas?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/Gypsyfingers/guitar.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/Gypsyfingers/guitdar.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/Gypsyfingers/guitdrar.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes Scott....that has been my focus exactly. I am just not finding images.

The fingerboard looks well used, indicating playability. Most of the "toy" guitars I have ever picked up had atrocious actions, non-existant intonations and even worse tone.

This little thing looks like it has been used.

I greatly appreciate your confidence in me, Lister, but I don't have any more detailed an idea off the top of my head than you already posted above ("My guess is something like a Kay, Silvertone, Harmony, Sears, Montgomery Ward, Stella etc catalogue type guitar from the 1950's. I doubt this instrument has much value at all...."). My own first thought was Harmony or Kay... Something about that bridge-plate vaguely rings a bell in the fog, but... Idunno any more than you here!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

stella or harmony...most likely a silvertone made by stella.

i've seen these labeled as all three over the years. they were farmed out to whichever company could produce them cheapest for sears, woolworths, barkers, montgomery ward etc.

they make bitchin' little parlor guitars for playing blues.

i reccomend black diamond strings, with an .015 for a high e string...

Note that Harmony manufactured a LOT of guitars that were labeled with the marques of many other brand-names and retailers over the years...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

the key tho is the shape of the headstock...classic stella, different from harmonys, which were generally more "paddle" shaped.

Did you have a look at the pic of the Harmony in my link? Harmony made a bunch of these (you can find a lot of them on the same site in my link). I could still be wrong, but I'd bet money that this is made by the same people.

Yeah I have asked for a headstock pic....hopefully that is coming. There are some Regals that have a funky headstock. The only markings anywhere is that he says on the case it says G & S Guitars, Challenge.

I reckon this was the store it was bought at and since his dad is from Wyoming and lives in Montana, likely it has been floating around up there for years.

Also there is an old guitar method book in the case dated 1927.

I'll tell you what he paid for it when we figure it out. Put it this way, he can't lose.....LOL!!!

Note that Harmony manufactured a LOT of guitars that were labeled with the marques of many other brand-names and retailers over the years...

There was a lot of cross-pollination, so to speak, among those companies, at that time, so it may be a moot point trying to attach a brand name to this guitar. If it's a question of resale value, I'd say there's enough question as to just what it is, that it would be hard to assign a fair market value. The bridge looks like a Martin bridge, FWIW.

Here's another stencil - National Hawaiian

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

well, silvertones were made by a lot of vendors...there was no "silvertone" company so to speak.

all "silvertone" was was sear's house brand. they were made by kay, stella, harmony etc...usually you can tell by the headstock or pickups who made what, but sometimes ya can't.

this one, to me, looks more "stella" than kay or harmony...but, who knows? my gig ain't i.d.ing guitars, so i will bow out to the more knowledgeable cats. ;)

well, silvertones were made by a lot of vendors...there was no "silvertone" company so to speak.

all "silvertone" was was sear's house brand. they were made by kay, stella, harmony etc...usually you can tell by the headstock or pickups who made what, but sometimes ya can't.

this one, to me, looks more "stella" than kay or harmony...but, who knows? my gig ain't i.d.ing guitars, so i will bow out to the more knowledgeable cats. ;)

And to complicate, Harmony was owned by Sears for a while. And the Stella name was bought & produced by Harmony.

Scott Fraser

And don't forget the Danelectro Silvertones.

Scott Fraser

I got more info....a small piece is juicy......and I have more pictures....however, what I don't have is time.

I gotta do a buncha chores and put up some scary decorations to frighten the living shit out of the interloper kids who come into my neighborhood to beg candy 'cos there aint any candy in their 'hoods.......well different kind maybe......so I'm getting even :evil::evil::mad::evil: .....BWAAAAHAHHHAHHAHHA bring the wretched little devils on....I gotta surprise for them.......I'll turn the tables..... er, whoa, hold on......I'm getting a bit too into it already...... :laugh:

Nah, we always set up a little show here and buy TONS of candy, at which point I am hoping to get cleaned out otherwise it's my kids that end up eating the nasty stuff........LOL!!!

Love all the kids that come by, even the big fisted greedy little bastards that can't just take one candy....nooooooo.....they gotta ask for more, or take a whole handful or say something snide........... it is for them that I wait..........I aint giving candy to kids, I'm snatchin' it away.....BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :evil:

Archived