Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

flight cases -- any way around them?

isaacjunk

Hi, I'm a semi-pro player who's just started doing some touring. Is there any alternative to getting those crazy heavy >50lb cases that cost $50 or more to check in each way?

a) for a 61-key keyboard, how likely is it I will be forced to check it?

b) is there a sufficient case that weighs < 30 lbs, so that my <20lb keyboard will not trigger a penalty?

c) why do bassists and guitarists seem to get away with carrying that stuff on but not keyboardists? I don't see them using the industrial strength cases....a 61-key keyboard couldn't be any bigger than a bass.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any more flights are packed to the gills. You'll have to gate check it. It'll get thrown on top of the luggage with the strollers and car seats.

I can't tell you how many times I've watch in horror as baggage handlers tossed my keyboards (in ATA-approved cases) on and off a luggage ramp. One flight I watched my piano sit on the tarmac as the plane backed away from the terminal.

These are your tools with with you earn a living. How important are their safety?

At the very least, investigate SKB cases which have gotten better over the years, but still rate a thumbs down from professional roadies.

I flew with my Korg Karma in an ATA-rated plastic SKB case and it was just fine. Don't know how it'll hold up after a 100 flights, though.

I'm building an ultra portable fly rig right now. Something like a small module and a small 5 octave controller, both compact enough to be checked in.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Get a Gator slimline ATA approved case. They are much lighter weight than regular flight cases and very tough.

Yes, you will have to gate check it. Any time we fly, the bassist and guitarist in my band have to do everything they can NOT to check their guitars and they fit easily in the overhead. Airlines don't care. Get a good case, check it, and have the piece of mind that it will be there for the gig in working condition.

On another thread i wrote about buying the moog voyager. My sister will have to bring it with her on the flight from NY over to Israel. It comes with a moog ATA case. Is that good enough or is it a death sentence for the moog?
Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

May not be an option for your particular keyboard, but I've flown my Electro2-73 dozens of times now in a Pelican 1750 with some custom 0.75" thick foam and a gig bag inside, and it's just under 50 lbs in the case. It's held up great.

If your board won't fit in the 1750 check the 1770 or other "long case" models. If it's a particularly light board you might still be under 50lbs total.

Never even bothered trying to carry-on anything other than an accordion.

Never even bothered trying to carry-on anything other than an accordion.
I'm surprised the TSA let that one slide - but then I'm of the "Use an accordion, go to jail" school.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Archived