Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dancing between sets??

duff beer

Our band played a charity event a few weeks ago at a large corporation where our keyboard player works. At the event, he introduced me to a co-worker who I am now dating. ;) Our band went over very well and we were offered and have accepted to be the band at their Christmas banquet in early December. We will be playing 4 sets of classic rock, and providing a DJ to play between sets. This is a semi-formal event, reserved tables, etc.

My new girlfriend wants to know if I will dance with her between sets when the DJ plays. I told her that we are hired as entertainment and are working that night, and it wouldn't be appropriate for me to participate as a"guest" between sets. She thinks I'm being silly, and since I've never been in this position before, I don't know what to do. My first instinct is not to mix business with pleasure.

Has anyone here been in this position before, and if so, what did you do?? Am I making this a bigger deal than it really is?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On such a night, I say, dance with the girl! If you don't do it, somebody else will.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

I understand but she works there.... dance with her. If you must worry then consider it part of the act.... you look like a fun loving guy... people like that... and your are in the band... what a good band, the guys even danced between sets... that band had fun and so did we...

[maybe a little too Jim Gafigan, but you get my point...]

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

more... my wife loves to dance. I suck at dancing but I will dance any and everytime she asks, sometime I ask her... Why? because she goes to my gigs and supports me.. and dances by herself while I am playing.... I like to dance but sometimes she wants to dance when perhaps I think it is awkward... I got over it and I find that it is always just fine... many times we are the first on the dancefloor and then often it fills up. First with ladies with other ladies, then with men that want to dance with these other ladies....If they try to dance with my wife I punch them square in the nose and shoot them if they try to get up....

[just kidding about that last part.... my wife shoots them...]

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Sure, dance when you can but make sure she understands that business has to come first and just because the band is on a break doesn't mean that you may not be busy. Be open and honest it's the best policy and make sure she knows that you want to spend time with her, even if you can't.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Well, I'm going to take a contrarian view. If it were me, I wouldn't do it. Just doesn't feel right to me. As you say, you are there primarily as part of the entertainment--you've been hired to provide a service. It would be the same as if a waiter took his or her break and then sat down at one of the dinner tables with the rest of the guests and started eating.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

--you've been hired to provide a service.

Right on. That service is to make the people in attendance think that they're having a good time. Best way to do that is to show them how during your break---if you want---. As long as you're not late for the next set, it's a bonus situation. Never mind quality-of-life issues.

Now if the O.P. is just looking for a lame excuse not to dance....

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Well, I'm going to take a contrarian view. If it were me, I wouldn't do it. Just doesn't feel right to me. As you say, you are there primarily as part of the entertainment--you've been hired to provide a service. It would be the same as if a waiter took his or her break and then sat down at one of the dinner tables with the rest of the guests and started eating.

I was thinking along the same lines, and was suprised that so many people had a different view. A waiter would probably be fired for dancing with the guests on their break. Now, of course, we are not employed by the hotel and that's not an issue. But we are hired entertaintment for the guests for the evening, and this is a semi-formal banquet, not the local bar.

Stop thinking like a musician for a second. She wants to dance with you at her work party, in front of her friends and colleagues. Means she is serious about you, and you should definitely take that factor into consideration.

You're there to work, yes. But you are also there as her partner (provided it is open to partners). And partners dance. But if you really want to settle this, ask whomever booked you if there is a general policy against it.

Oh and by the way? You're the bass player. No one will recognize you anyway ;)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Stop thinking like a musician for a second. She wants to dance with you at her work party, in front of her friends and colleagues. Means she is serious about you, and you should definitely take that factor into consideration.

I never even considered that point. You are a very wise man... :thu:

Yes. Listen to the Belgian wisdom. It's as good and dependable as the waffles.

Push the button Frank.

Well in your defence, this is a bass player forum, not a dating forum :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

She wants to dance with you at her work party, in front of her friends and colleagues. Means she is serious about you, and you should definitely take that factor into consideration.

It's a trap!

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

She wants to dance with you at her work party, in front of her friends and colleagues. Means she is serious about you, and you should definitely take that factor into consideration.

It's a trap!

Ha! Indeed, it is a trap.

And you should most definitely that factor into consideration.

It's a trap!

Ha! Indeed, it is a trap.

And you should most definitely that factor into consideration.

She's hot...I'm willing to be trapped. :D

She's hot...I'm willing to be trapped. :D

But yet, you are asking us if you should dance with her. Like the band is more important? Really? Honest?

5 cents, please.

http://www.hollywoodmegastore.com/Images/7415_Lucy_cutout_888.jpg

Dance like your life depends on it!!

I can not dance at all, I can headbang like a lunatic when playing a rock tune, I can keep time when playing but I cannot co ordinate my feet and hands together or do even the simplest of dances. My wife is a great dancer. Her Dad taught her to waltz and a lot of old time dancing, she also line dances. There have been times at occasions when she just walks off in frustration with me.

As long as you aren't neglecting some important part of the job you were hired to do, why not dance with your lady? By the way, what important part of the job would you be neglecting? Tuning or restringing your instrument? Discussing and/or booking other gigs? Winding your watch and evacuating your bladder?

Aw, go on, dance with her. Especially if the dj plays a good, ol' fashion grinding tune...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived