Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

add decent piano sound to my rig (small footprint, cheap)?

bloodyMary

Hi all. Now when my heavy metal band is getting some abroad gigs, I am in need of an ultra-portable rig. Picked up a JV-1010 for real cheap, just to try it out. It has Session card built-in and also the orchestral II card. I'm surprised how good it sounds, esp. for a 1994 soundset - I prefer the strings, synths, pads, and choirs over my Triton. It's only weaknesses are Hammonds (don't use, so irrelevant) and horrible pianos. Actually managed to program and play an entire gig on that thing.

But the pianos, which I need for ballads, are just too bad.

Now, I want a real small device (the JV itself is a half pack 2 pound box) to compliment it and add decent (don't need state of the art) pianos.

Now, there are some old modules like the Alesis nanopiano or Yamaha P50m, but I guess they'll sound just as bad as the Roland. Am I wrong?

Also considered a netbook running piano VSTi. Bonus - can add good Hammond too. But will a netbook handle this? Don't wanna mess with external audio interfaces, too - keep it simple.

Also thought of a V-machine...

I'm also broke, so not looking to spend more than $300 (the JV cost me $120).

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might be able to find a GEM RP-X for that price, but maybe not. They're somewhat rare and seem to hang around the $400 mark.

I may be punched in the face for this, but a Kurzweil ME-1 could possibly work for you too.

Stuff and things.

Ditto on the Kurzweil MicroPiano. Also for what it is worth, if memory serves me correctly I thought there was a decent piano sound on the Yamaha P50m.

But at your price point it is sort of catch as catch can.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I was going to suggest the MicroPiano, but I thought since the ME-1 was newer and I could see a few on craigslist in your price range, the ME-1 would be a better choice.

But the MicroPiano would probably work just as well for you. :)

Stuff and things.

The P50-m has a better sound and will easily cut through a mix.
This.

Both the Kurzweil and Yamaha fit your description. I found the Kurz' fills (and even competes with) a live mix while the Yamaha cuts right through it.

Beware that the MicroPiano is only one velocity layer. The ME1 however, has the triplestrike piano.

That being said I would also go for the Yamaha module instead. But the best choice would be a GEM RPX which is really nice!

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I had a Kurzweil MicroPiano and an ME-1. The ME-1 is far better value, with 256 sounds from the PC2 - and that's why I bought it maybe 10 years ago, for the studio. There are a dozen pianos, of which about half of them are very good. I don't think the Triple-Strike has been resampled so you're getting what's currently in the PC3 line.

Live, I've been a Yamaha guy since forever, had a brief, expensive and non-fulfilling affair with a Roland RD700whateverX.

But since getting an SP4-7, I've never been happier with a piano sound - in a band context - and that's basically the piano from the ME-1.

Cutting through is one thing, but I know that in context, Kurzweils sound ballsy and real, while Yamahas are piercing, and Rolands are lifeless.

Here for the gear.

There are a dozen pianos, of which about half of them are very good.

I had a ME-1 for about 10 minutes and I'll be damed if 75% of those sounds weren't identical. I could hear no difference between them. :confused:

Should have added I'm almost positive they're EQ'd variations of the DT-S but there's no EQ on the module and it doesn't retain any settings, so IMO they're needed. Otherwise all your other sounds would be affected.

Here for the gear.

Should have added I'm almost positive they're EQ'd variations of the DT-S but there's no EQ on the module and it doesn't retain any settings, so IMO they're needed. Otherwise all your other sounds would be affected.

What does "DT-S" mean? And yeah, supposedly they're EQ'd differently. IMO, not enough to be discernable.

I have an SM Pro VMachine, which I got nearly new off fleabay for £120. TBH its a bit clunky but it does come with some decent free plugins including a very playable special version of True Pianos. Check them out here http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/service/downloads/vmachinedownloads
"Just a tad more attack on the filter, Grandad!"

There are a dozen pianos, of which about half of them are very good.

I had a ME-1 for about 10 minutes and I'll be damed if 75% of those sounds weren't identical. I could hear no difference between them. :confused:

+1000 I used to own one of these as well and all of the acoustic piano patches sounded the same.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

so far Kurz seems to get most votes. I like how GEM RPX sounds in the demos, but it seems hard to come by around here.

I'll keep my eyes open for a used ME-1 to turn up. But what about the netbook option? Too unreliable? Or just underpowered?

The E-mu Proformance is like from 1989 so I'd expect a M1-like sound from it...

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Some men you just can't reach... Good luck with that Kurzweil in a METAL band! :wave:

Agreed... I had a hard time hearing the Kurzweil Micro Piano well in a country/rock band. The initial attack was there, though a bit dull; not much punch. The envelope sounded shortened, in the context of the stage mix. Would've likely worked in a jazz trio, or solo gig though.... Can't imagine it in a metal band, unless it was tweaked heavily with a multi-effect unit; even then....

I sent the MicroPiano back and had a P50m shipped to me. Worked right out of the box for everything from jobbing gigs to country and rock road work. Still have it. The P50m is a foolproof choice of piano for this application, IMO....

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I used a Yamaha P-50m for several years in the late 90's - early 2000's. I thought it was pretty decent, if not a little thin and bright. But, it DID cut through the mix really well.

Yamaha C2, Yamaha MODX7, Hammond SK1, Hammond XK-5 Heritage Pro System, Korg Kronos 2 61, Yamaha CP4, Kurzweil PC4-7, Nord Stage 3 73, Nord Wave 2, QSC 8.2, Motion Sound KP 210S,  Key Largo, etc…yeah I have too much…

Or try the Roland SR-JV piano expansion card in your JV-1010 if you can find one?

Along the same lines... the XV-2020 and SRX-11 piano card might do the trick, though at probably more like $400, as each piece often gets in the $200 range by itself... but you might get lucky

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Some men you just can't reach... Good luck with that Kurzweil in a METAL band! :wave:

For playing piano in busy loud songs I could rely on the JV sound, it cuts through very well. It's the exposed bits that bother me.

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

For playing piano in busy loud songs I could rely on the JV sound, it cuts through very well. It's the exposed bits that bother me.

In that case, nickd's suggestion to check out the SR-JV piano expansion card might be your solution -- it's certainly the cheapest.

In that case, nickd's suggestion to check out the SR-JV piano expansion card might be your solution -- it's certainly the cheapest.

I thought of this, of course. First, after some research I found out that the Session expansion's considered the best JV piano, and I have this one. And the single exp. plot of my JV is occupied by the orchestral card anyway.

But I will check the piano card again, maybe pick it up anyway, if it shows up on eBay for a reasonable price.

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Archived