Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Epic band playing my song

Nillerbabs

Hey Folks! I got a little something I just need to tell just about everybody :cool:

Here's a brush up: A month or so ago a colleague of mine gave me a heads up regarding a competition for jazz composers aged 15-25. I'd never heard of it, but I thought "why not", and as there were only a few days to application deadline, I hurried and sent them a composition of mine called Salmon Song.

So, a couple of days ago I received a phone call telling me that my entry was one of four compositions chosen for the finals. So in two weeks I'm headed to Copenhagen, where DR Big Band (and that's the epic part of the story - Wiki states that Ernie Wilkins said the band is "probably the best band in Europe") will play the compositions, and a winner will be chosen. A first place would win me a little money, but regardless I'm just proud and excited. Sadly I won't get to play with the band, as it has been previous years - it is being stressed that it is a compositional, not performance-minded competition, and that's probably good since I am but in the spring of my musical career.

Should I be in such luck as to win the competition, I would join ranks with Marius Neset, Snorre Kirk, Magnus Hjorth among others - those recognizing the names will know that they're some of the hottest youngsters on the current Scandinavian jazz scene. But as mentioned, I am happy either way. The performance will be broadcasted on radio, and I will be sure to post it here if possible (there may be certain regulations on accessing Danish Radio material from abroad).

And finally, a brief closure: please, wish me luck :)

Salmon Song

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good luck! As you've said, you're happy either way, so you have already won. :thu: Enjoy whatever happens.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I would join ranks with Marius Neset, Snorre Kirk, Magnus Hjorth among others

That's some elite company right there!

Best of luck and I hope your song is chosen as the winner. But really, haven't you already won just by being selected?

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

That's some elite company right there!

Best of luck and I hope your song is chosen as the winner. But really, haven't you already won just by being selected?

That's the beauty of it. Nothin' to do for me but lean back, enjoy some mighty fine arrangements and keep practicing and playing!

• 2 weeks later...

The competition was last night - I've just returned home. I didn't win first prize; but the winner is Carl Winther, a blooming young (despite almost 10 years older than me) Danish player, with a composition from his debut album, starring Jerry Bergonzi. I'm definitely not ashamed to be regarded among such musicians. The big band arrangements were absolutely wonderful, and I was pleasantly surprised by the diversity of the music - one song was leaning towards the traditional side of jazz, one had a modern rockish vibe, one 'nordic' (mine), and one free-ish - of which the latter won.

The performances were recorded, they are being mixed and mastered next week, and will at some point be broadcasted on the radio. I'll make sure you get to hear it. Even though I didn't win, I was very pleased to receive a lot of compliments on my tune from the big band musicians. Carl, who won, has applied for the competition the last five years, and I will make sure to apply next year and next year again - and so forth.

The competition was last night - I've just returned home. I didn't win first prize; but the winner is Carl Winther, a blooming young (despite almost 10 years older than me) Danish player, with a composition from his debut album, starring Jerry Bergonzi. I'm definitely not ashamed to be regarded among such musicians. The big band arrangements were absolutely wonderful, and I was pleasantly surprised by the diversity of the music - one song was leaning towards the traditional side of jazz, one had a modern rockish vibe, one 'nordic' (mine), and one free-ish - of which the latter won.

The performances were recorded, they are being mixed and mastered next week, and will at some point be broadcasted on the radio. I'll make sure you get to hear it. Even though I didn't win, I was very pleased to receive a lot of compliments on my tune from the big band musicians. Carl, who won, has applied for the competition the last five years, and I will make sure to apply next year and next year again - and so forth.

Man, you sure have come a long way! :thu:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Thanks guys!

I have to tell you about a hilarious/ridiculous experience. After a short intermission,

played a few songs, followed by
. She's an accomplished jazz/pop singer, and he's supposed to be that, too. It was very apparent that she knew what she was doing, and he was making musical wankery with no thought of lyrics, music, theoretical knowledge or anything. As they were to sing a duet, the big band kicked off, and he was supposed to enter the song on the flat third of a IIm7. No biggie. After a few seconds of singing, he broke off the band, asking if they could do the intro again, as he couldn't find the right note. So much for a professional singer... :facepalm:

Archived