Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motion Sound Tech Problem

Iconoclast

I have a pretty much brand new KBR-3D that I had a minor problem with this weekend (how come this stuff always happens AT the gig, and not at practice).

The rotary speaker won't stop. Any time it should be stopped it stays in slow rotation. It will otherwise react normally, I just can't seem to stop it.

Minor prob, as I rarely want it stopped, but hey, it's barely two months old.

Anyone had this problem or have a quick fix? I've sent an e-mail to motion-sound but I don't expect to hear back from them on the weekend and I'm going out of town for a few days early in the morning.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's the switch pedal. Unplug the foot pedal and note the reaction of the rotor. Plug the pedal back in. Switch the pedal on and off. If nothing happens your pedal has a loose connection. I've owned one for 11 years and problems are few.

On the odd chance that this is your case, I thought I'd share. My motion sound r147 will not brake if the high speed is engaged. So if you haven't already, try braking it from slow speed, not fast.

Not sure if the 147 is the same as the KBR-3D but from the manual, it's not supposed to brake from high speed. "Fast overrides all".

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

It's the switch pedal. Unplug the foot pedal and note the reaction of the rotor. Plug the pedal back in. Switch the pedal on and off. If nothing happens your pedal has a loose connection. I've owned one for 11 years and problems are few.

OK, I suspected the foot-switch. Not sure I understand your post though.

I unplug the foot-switch and the speaker goes to high speed. I plug the foot-switch back in and it goes to slow or fast depending on what I have the switch set at...but never brake.

The light's on the foot=switch change like they're working just fine.

On the odd chance that this is your case, I thought I'd share. My motion sound r147 will not brake if the high speed is engaged. So if you haven't already, try braking it from slow speed, not fast.

Not sure if the 147 is the same as the KBR-3D but from the manual, it's not supposed to brake from high speed. "Fast overrides all".

Yes, the R3-147 is that way. I didn't know if the KBR was, but if it was, & if by chance you didn't know that, I wanted to throw it out.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Assuming you're using the Motion sound pedal, open it up and make sure all connections are solid. I still think it's the pedal, or the cord/plug of the pedal. They look like they'd wear like iron but I replaced a number of them. Never had an issue with the amp/motors.

Took it apart but to my eyes there was nothing obviously wrong. All the wires attach to something. It worked fine before so I think they're all connected to the proper thing.

I noticed when I bought it that the foot-switch IS NOT covered by the warranty. Hmmmm

Thanks for all the input guys. I guess I'll be waiting to hear from MS.

Yeah, my 8-year-old Pro3tm still works fine. (I don't use it anymore, but tested it this summer)

Bought it back in '03; the footswitch was faulty not long after that. The switch looked like it was built like a brick shithouse, but looks can be deceiving.

Called Speakeasy and they built me a custom Half-moon switch, using an old Leslie 3-position switch. Still have it. I wish it would have worked with my Ventilator, but it didn't; and I don't know how to re-wire stuff...

Stuff and things.

If you want to replace the cord, use a headphone extention cord with a 1/4 TRS plug. That's how to get the brake to work. The tip is fast/slow, the ring is brake, and the sleeve is common.

I never use the brake, so when I had to replace the cord, I just used a standard 1/4 and only connected the fast/slow switch.

By default, when you remove the control plug from the MS, it will go to fast speed.

I created a small switch that I can just plug a standard 1/4 instrument cable into in case the pedal ever fails at the gig. Doesn't hurt to have a back up.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Out of town in a hotel until tomorrow so I can't test the cord. However I didn't suspect the cord since the foot-switch will successfully switch from slow to fast and back.

I do not have a continuity tester.

If it is the foot-switch, do you guys have any replacement suggestions?

Archived