Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Stand "Game-Changer"

Sven Golly

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The screaming and crying you might be hearing in the distance is the hordes of Jordan Rudess fanboys realizing that he's got a new twist (pun intended) on his keyboard stand.

Clonk here to watch the video of his current live setup on the KeyboardMag.com website. :cool:

Cool, thanks for the link Sven. So, my take was that all the sounds he plays on the Kronos come from the Kronos.

Also, he is using the current state of modern technology - like Emerson did except 40 years later. :crazy:

Regards,

Joe

Cool stuff. I'd imagine it's uncomfortable to stand on that metal floor for a whole concert though.

Anyone notice the stand the Kronos is on has a metal brace at one end that is reminiscent of Oasys end caps?

http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/29531_l.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Cool, thanks for the link Sven. So, my take was that all the sounds he plays on the Kronos come from the Kronos.

Yep; everything else is:

Zen Riffer to V-Synth XT #1

Haaken Continuum to V-Synth XT #2

pedal steel into the effects unit

iPad 2 into the signal splitter (via the customized VGA cable)

Anyone notice the stand the Kronos is on has a metal brace at one end that is reminiscent of Oasys end caps?

Yep; given the trick that the stand pulls, I'd expect an end cap/brace like that as well. ;)

Speaking of noticing, did you catch the mysterious "disappearing drink cup"? ;)

I find it interesting that he's already gone with the Kronos. I guess Korg pays him a lot or gives him a lot of free KB's to use for touring.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Pretty cool, I have one of his Dvds where he shows some of his gear from 3-6 years ago, back then he was using a Kurzweil and a Triton Extreme. Nice rig!
"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

It all seems a bit . . . unnecessary to me. The twisting, turning, bending and stooping to play in contorted positions? Why? Does it make him more interesting to see him cocked at a 45 degree angle than standing upright, or *GASP* sitting down?

Meh.

*added* I know, I know . . . . it's for entertainment, after all it is "show business" . . . I'm just getting a little weary of too much "show" in my entertainment, that often comes at the expense of the music. Not suggesting that Jordan Rudess isn't enough of a badass to pull off gymnastics while playing and still turn in a mind numbing performance (and I'm saying this as someone who is respectful of his ability, but not really a "fan" of his music).

I guess I'm just getting old. 30 years ago, I would have likely thought that electronic adjustable rig of his was the shit!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Can't you just imagine the "Spinal Tap" failures of that stand, like spending the whole show cocked sideways? :laugh:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

This rig is pretty awesome. I like the tilting keyboard stand. Reminds me of the one used by Lawrence Gowan of Styx, which was made of a very similar metal and rotated. His didn't tilt though.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Come on, man...Even Cpt. Picard can play the stick! :laugh:

http://www.duneinfo.com/giedi_prime/dvd/misc/images/gurney.jpg

That would be Gurney from Dune showing Feyd-Rautha (Sting) a few licks.

:thu: Yeah, i know my Sci-fi, but that guy will always be Captain Picard in my book, doesn't matter what other movie/series he's in. :taz:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

It all seems a bit . . . unnecessary to me. The twisting, turning, bending and stooping to play in contorted positions? Why? Does it make him more interesting to see him cocked at a 45 degree angle than standing upright, or *GASP* sitting down?

Meh.

*added* I know, I know . . . . it's for entertainment, after all it is "show business" . . . I'm just getting a little weary of too much "show" in my entertainment, that often comes at the expense of the music. Not suggesting that Jordan Rudess isn't enough of a badass to pull off gymnastics while playing and still turn in a mind numbing performance (and I'm saying this as someone who is respectful of his ability, but not really a "fan" of his music).

I guess I'm just getting old. 30 years ago, I would have likely thought that electronic adjustable rig of his was the shit!

Nominated for post of the month.

+1 on all accounts, including the "old" thing.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Actually, yes. Not something I would do, personally, although the rotating stand setup would be cool (although in the small venues I most often play at these days, it would be a lawsuit waiting to happen... taking out waitresses and patrons alike ;) ).

Meh.

You forgot "bah humbug" and "hey you kids, get the hell off my lawn!" :thu:

*added* I know, I know . . . . it's for entertainment, after all it is "show business" . . .

Consider what context it is.

In the metal genre, he´s a bit of a exception, not being a background keyboardist playing pads and triggering samples only.

Instead, he´s some kind of a frontman too w/ Dream Theater which is a very successfull band, regardless whether it´s anyones taste or not.

I doubt, if he would play in a blues or jazz band, he´d use such a rig, but for the metal context, his ideas, how to present himself to the audience, are very creative IMO and it seems, he has the support of the band and management to do it that way.

I like what Jordan is doing. To me, it demonstrates, he´s interested in any new technology, checking it out, using it or not or use it for a period of time and ditch it.

I cannot ignore guys, playing keys, guitar and steel guitar, learning a Haken Continuum or this "Chapman Stick" replacement for keyboardists, integrating these controllers into their rigs w/ MIDI and making it work safely for pro shows.

That´s effort and doesn´t deserve malice.

It´s true, without the support and endorsement deals, it would be impossible to do that,- so for the most of us it is impossible, but he can.

I also doubt it was possible for him all the times.

According to the keyboard stand:

I myself didn´t buy any stock stand since decades.

Not any stand available satisfies my needs up today and I hate every stand I buyed stock in the past.

I understand why he wants something custom designed, but there´s no necessity the stand to be hydraulic.

OTOH,- that´s part of the show concept and he can afford to realize that or maybe the production pays,- who knows ?

So what ?

If he´s performing well with his concept,- all good.

I´ve never seen him performing w/ DT and doing any mistake.

A.C.

*added* I know, I know . . . . it's for entertainment, after all it is "show business" . . .

I cannot ignore guys, playing keys, guitar and steel guitar, learning a Haken Continuum or this "Chapman Stick" replacement for keyboardists, integrating these controllers into their rigs w/ MIDI and making it work safely for pro shows.

That´s effort and doesn´t deserve malice.

Malice? Where did you find any malice in my post?

mal·ice; [mal-is]

noun

desire to inflict injury, harm, or suffering on another, either because of a hostile impulse or out of deep-seated meanness: the malice and spite of a lifelong enemy.

Law. evil intent on the part of a person who commits a wrongful act injurious to others

Really? Malice?

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Come on, man...Even Cpt. Picard can play the stick! :laugh:

That would be Gurney from Dune showing Feyd-Rautha (Sting) a few licks.

:thu: Yeah, i know my Sci-fi, but that guy will always be Captain Picard in my book, doesn't matter what other movie/series he's in. :taz:

I found this on Google+, with the title, "How to upset every single nerd on the planet" :D

314834_10150415543454673_517104672_10032697_390672352_n.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Malice? Where did you find any malice in my post?

mal·ice; [mal-is]

noun

desire to inflict injury, harm, or suffering on another, either because of a hostile impulse or out of deep-seated meanness: the malice and spite of a lifelong enemy.

Law. evil intent on the part of a person who commits a wrongful act injurious to others

Really? Malice?

Oops, that was nothing personal,- sorry.

For me, it was more a general statement and now I see there´s a language prob too because of several definitions of malice if translated from german to english.

If I look at Leo and translate from english to german there come up more definitions matching your explanation above.

What I wanted to say is,- and even it was not part of your post,- there´s often backbite (I hope that´s right now) if guys like J.R. decide for excentric designs to attract interest from the audience.

It´s right a hydraulic and rotating keyboardstand as well as a camera, in a typical keyrig, are more or less unnecessary gimicks, but OTOH, a band like DT is more like a business concern and have probably recognized, music alone isn´t the main attraction anymore.

This camera gimmick is quite usefull if gigging in large venues w/ large video screens.

J.R. is a great keyboard player IMO and for sure he don´t has to compensate lack of skills w/ gimmicks, but in this band it might be a great idea for the overall show.

A.C.

Archived