Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Old Fender gear

jeremy c

In response the the thread about the new Squier Mustang bass, I thought I'd mention the old Mustang bass.

Recently I went over a friend's house. He said his 11 year old son was learning bass and there leaning in a corner of the room was a Mustang bass.

I'll have to get the serial number next time I'm there, but this bass was definitely vintage and it played like a dream.

The neck was straight as an arrow, it had the perfect "relic finish" on the body and neck, and it was hard for me to put it down. Finally the son came home from school, so I handed him the bass and switched to piano so we could jam for a while.

I told my friend that this bass which they found in someone's attic was probably worth a decent amount of money now.

Over and out.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I don't know what they go for -- somewhat of a specialty, since it's shortscale. But for a late 60s-early 70s Mustang, I guess I wouldn't be shocked if it was worth upwards of $1,000.

My '76 Fender Jazz would probably command upwards of $2,000, based on some of the online prices I've seen -- which astonishes me, as that period was not exactly the high watermark for quality at Fender.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

With short scales being stereotyped as they are, how did the mustang do compared to a P or J or other short scales?

At church once I played a 60s version Gibson EB2- mudbucker aside, it played great. It also had some kind of pickup switch or coil tap that made it sound a lot clearer- I was even able to get a decent slap sound out of it. I found I could move around petty good on the neck and some certain fills and runs I play were a lot smoother.

So how did the Mustangs sound?

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Well, the bass sounded good to me, but I was playing it through a small practice amp. Maybe I can convince my friend (and his son) to let me try it out on a gig.

Bill Wyman,Tina Weymouth and Trevor Bolder all used Mustang basses at various points in their careers and I never heard any complaints about their sound.

Well, the bass sounded good to me, but I was playing it through a small practice amp. Maybe I can convince my friend (and his son) to let me try it out on a gig.

Don't forget to leave your car keys.

Given the kid's age, you may want to try to convince them to get a cheaper bass and save that one for when he's a bit older. Perhaps you can find someone to give it a nice home for a couple of years.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I knew a guy back in the 70s who had one, and his sounded pretty good.

And I knew a guy in college who had one that he had modded with DiMarzios, and he was really happy with it.

Good little basses, from what I recall -- a real step-up for a "student" model.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Archived