Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can we have the forum for mobile devices, please?

zephonic

These days I hardly use the computer for browsing anymore. Most of my internet time is on either my iPhone or the iPad. In fact, I'm typing this on an iPad. I use the computer for music only.

The thing is that this forum is not very mobile-friendly. Would it be very expensive to develop a mobile version of the forum? Or better yet, a dedicated app?

Many sites and message boards now have mobile versions, it really makes life on an iDevice mucho easier. Hope the Keyboard Corner (or rather musicplayer.com) is not gonna be left behind!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UBB used to be THE number one choice for developing forums (when God and I were lads) but over the years it was increasingly eclipsed by the likes of phpBB, vBulletin and Invision Power Board. Since being bought out and then sold by Infopop, its history hasn't exactly been a happy one and I believe it's now owned by a small company run by its original developer.

All of which means that it's fairly ancient in terms of its technology and features compared with its competitors. Hence no default mobile theme. Of course, it would be possible to migrate to another platform but I guess the admins here remember what happened at "the other place" when that happened, shudder and change the subject.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Is there another forum that is offered in a format for mobile devices?

(I haven't seen one.)

If so, which one would you want KC to emulate?

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

There are apps for some forum software. No one has done that for this software, last I checked.

The next best thing would be a style sheet that's used when you're on a mobile device.

Some of us discussed the mobile app stuff with Jim Quinn over in the Help Desk or Forum News, but I cannot find it now.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Is there another forum that is offered in a format for mobile devices?

I think Gearslutz has its own app.

Thanks, Dana!

I just loaded that on my iPod.

Cool. :cool:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I find that mobile sites are often better laid out than the full versions.

The gearslutz app is a grrreat example of how it should be done. It does not have all the functionality of the full version, but that is only a hindrance when you want to edit multi-quotes etc.

Personally, in most cases I'd rather have the normal web than the mobile web. There's generally too much missing from the mobile versions for my taste.

That doesn't mean I'd like to deny that option for those who want it, but I am requesting for the ability to opt out of the mobile version should this be implemented.

Thanks.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Most modern bulletin board software packages come with a mobile skin. I use Invision Power Board and it has both a free app for iPhone and a mobile skin that automatically loads when you access the site on a mobile device. You can also choose to see the full site if you want.

The software this forum runs is ancient by internet standards but perhaps the cost of upgrading to another platform is prohibitive. If it ain't broke...

Be careful what you wish for. That other forum was down again this past week after yet another upgrade, and running slow or failing to load for days after that.

You never know until you ask. :cool:

If going mobile helps the folks at New Bay Media, LLC drive subscribers their way, it could be worth their while to look into a mobile interface for KC.

Mobile devices are trending up. PCs are going in the opposite direction. KLONK KLONK KLONK

The smart money is on iOS and Android. :thu:KLONK KLONK

I'm not so sure where Microsoft is going to fit in here. KLONK

Archived