Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I wanna rock!

montunoman

Greetings,

I have a solid musical foundation, have studied classical, blues/boogie woogie, jazz and Latin music for awhile now. Lately Ive been wanting to really rock out. Id like to start with the good old fashioned rock n roll playing typified by Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, and Johnnie Johnson. Also some of the latter greats like Billy Powell, Greg Almond, Bill Payne, and Warren Zevon.

Anyone have any song recommendation that illustrate great comping and soloing to perhaps transcribe? Any good instructional books/DVD out there? Websites/youtube videos? Any other rock players I should check out?

Thanks!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest hit from the master himself. The man who made Fats Domino and Jerry Lee Lewis go Wow!

[video:youtube]

The late great Larry Knechtel - This song first made me want to learn Rock 'n' Roll Piano

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR4yTX9lZJY

My favorite blues guy rocking out

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

It's all about timing and feel, but the good news is, you won't have to lose much sleep trying to decipher a complicated voicing or a tangled chord progression. Just listen to your heroes and start trying to cop their licks.

Was listening recently to Chuck Leavell's solo on Southbound. Try that one. It's tasteful and the technique required is not ridiculous.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Thank CEB for the links. I listened to all of them and that's the sound I'm talking about.

Adan, Chuck Leavell's solo on Southbound is a great sugestion. When I googled him I saw that he has a website with lessons of the tunes played on: www.irocku.com

http://www.technodisco.net/img/tracks/t/twisted-sister/1883868-twisted-sister-i-wanna-rock.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Aw, jeez. I keep seeing this thread on my iPad and that particular video doesn't load, even a preview.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 4 weeks later...
Definitely check out irocku.com, Chuck Leavell's website for keyboard lessons. We have many of the songs that are listed in this forum. And more to come. The lessons include the groove, the improv, and the song itself.

Any other song suggestions? We'll add them to our list.

Keyboard tab for Van Halen "Jump"?

Any Leon Russell - but especially the 70s."Leon Russell" "Leon Russell and the Shelter People" "Asylum Choir II" (with Mark Benno) "Carney" "Leon Live" and with Joe Cocker "Mad Dogs and Englishmen"

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

Great suggestions. We already have requests in to their publishers to use some of their stuff. For the songs that Chuck played on, or are written by his buddies, we can get the clearances much quicker. We'll check with Chuck to see if he can move things along on these.

www.irocku.com has thing going with Keyboard where members get discounts on our lessons and membership. Feel free to use these coupon codes on our site:

code: IROCKU_lesson_KEYBOARD

code: IROCKU_membership_KEYBOARD

PM sent....

"Think Pink Floyd are whiny old men? No Problem. Turn em off and enjoy the Miley Cyrus remix featuring Pitbull." - Cygnus64

Life is shorter than you think...make it count.

Archived